OpenQuest Dungeons now available

Newt

OpenQuest Dungeons is now available via the D101 Games webstore.

This supplement for OpenQuest, which is broadly compatible with other D100 roleplaying games, has advice, resources and three adventures to ease players more familiar with D20 fantasy games into the joys of OpenQuest.

PDF is available now, with the printed version on pre-order to ship when I get printed copies back from the printer in a couple of weeks.

OpenQuest-Dungeons-web-preview.png

• Thanks 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I recommend this as a much easier way of playing D&D via d100 rules than Mythras' Classic Fantasy.

If you want a lot of bells and twiddles then use Classic Fantasy but be prepared for all the complexity that brings ( and thus rule study ) in both character creation and combat especially.

This is pick up and play - much quicker. It also has a funny "Chapter" ( a paragraph ) about the party's dungeon mapping.

Classic Fantasy covers lots of ground with lots of rules so it will probably be able to cover most situations that come up.

OpenQuest Dungeons, in its brevity, feels much more like the original red and blue B and X books to me ( which is a good thing! ).

Edited by groovyclam
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 7:04 AM, groovyclam said:

I recommend this as a much easier way of playing D&D via d100 rules than Mythras' Classic Fantasy.

If you want a lot of bells and twiddles then use Classic Fantasy but be prepared for all the complexity that brings ( and thus rule study ) in both character creation and combat especially.

This is pick up and play - much quicker. It also has a funny "Chapter" ( a paragraph ) about the party's dungeon mapping.

Classic Fantasy covers lots of ground with lots of rules so it will probably be able to cover most situations that come up.

OpenQuest Dungeons, in its brevity, feels much more like the original red and blue B and X books to me ( which is a good thing! ).

I kind of see OQD as the analog to Holmes B/X (or Mentzer if you prefer Elmore and Easley art), while MCF is geared for recreating a bit of that AD&D feel with a bit of that WoTC 3.x grid-based, crunchier combat.

Love 'em both, but yeah, definitely designed to fill a slightly different niche.

• Thanks 1

This is how I see OpenQuest in relation to Mythras (or more precisely Mongoose RuneQuest II when I originally wrote OQ). OQ is a quick pick up and play like B/X DnD (or BECMI if I'm being precise because I'm a child of the 80s and was raised on Moldvay Red Box Basic) to Mythras' more involved approach, which is analogous to AD&D 1st edition. 

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain