Urban fantasy BRP, which options would you use and why?

daddystabz

As I'm sure many of you have read on here in my previous posts I am trying to get a BRP urban fantasy game going soon probably set in the modern world with vampires, werewolves, mages, sorcerors, etc. I am reading VERY thoroughly through the BGB right now and trying to get a list together of what options I will go with and what ones I will pass on.

If you all were planning a game like this which options would you choose and/or leave out and why?

I plan on going with Dex/Int ranks for initiative either with or without statement of intents phase (up to my players), reg hit points (no hit locations), probably not rolling for armor but may decide to do so, etc.

Also, I noticed in the Fate Points section of the book under the optional rules it did not recommend having this system at all for a horror game. I kind of wanted to use at least some of the Fate Points options at first but maybe the book is wise in leaving them out completely for an urban fantasy/horror game. I want my action in the game to be streamlined but cinematic. What do you all think?

Lastly, what powers/magic types would you allow for? Mages will be part of the setting so I'm trying to decide which would be more appropriate between magic or sorcery in the book. I'm thinking magic will not be so much vancian but more ritualized in nature instead. I might not need much from superpowers but since werewolves, vampires, etc. will be in the game I may allow a tad of it but most of it would be chalked up to making one from the monster examples...simply rolling one as if you were rolling a race other than human in RuneQuest. Psychic abilities will be allowed too I think.

I have a quirk in favor of using hit locations. It may not matter for vampires and werewolves exactly where the multiple rounds that have no effect on them actually hit them, but I like the specificity for "normal" humans. Wounds in vital parts are scary, but on the flip side, if you get your limbs shot or mauled, you may still be able to do something with the ones that remain. I guess it would also depend on how much firearms combat you expect to have.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

If you all were planning a game like this which options would you choose and/or leave out and why?

I plan on going with Dex/Int ranks for initiative either with or without statement of intents phase (up to my players), reg hit points (no hit locations), probably not rolling for armor but may decide to do so, etc.

Looks solid - depending on how gritty a feel you are aiming at you might want to keep random armour, especially if you are dropping hit locations. For a cinematic game I'd go with fixed armour, total hit points and heroic hit points (SIZ+CON), but it's a matter of taste.

Also, I noticed in the Fate Points section of the book under the optional rules it did not recommend having this system at all for a horror game. I kind of wanted to use at least some of the Fate Points options at first but maybe the book is wise in leaving them out completely for an urban fantasy/horror game. I want my action in the game to be streamlined but cinematic. What do you all think?

Again, depends on exactly how gritty / dark you want it to be. Buffy / Angel has it's dark moments, but were never Call of Cthulhu level bleak, and for that sort of game I'd definitely use something like Fate Points. For something like Hellblazer or Torchwood (or rather what Torchwood aspires to be), I wouldn't use Fate Points (and I'd probably use normal hit points and hit locations)...

Lastly, what powers/magic types would you allow for? Mages will be part of the setting so I'm trying to decide which would be more appropriate between magic or sorcery in the book. I'm thinking magic will not be so much vancian but more ritualized in nature instead. I might not need much from superpowers but since werewolves, vampires, etc. will be in the game I may allow a tad of it but most of it would be chalked up to making one from the monster examples...simply rolling one as if you were rolling a race other than human in RuneQuest. Psychic abilities will be allowed too I think.

I'd use Sorcery, NOT Magic, and psychic powers and I'd only use the Super powers stuff to described / quantify the capabilities of specific creatures and "monsters".

I'd strongly recommend the Witchcraft monograph as well - it has some great material in it and is fully compatible with the core magic and Sorcery systems.

Cheers,

Nick

What i would use:

• No choosing characteristic values; supernatural beeings use higher starting characteristics; no point-based generation

• Education and knowledge roll; no cultural modifiers

• Players as supers is your call

• Step six & Increased personal skills (only for humans if you mix supers and humans on the party)

• Total Hit points, no fatigue points, DEFINITELY use sanity

• Distinctive features & freeform professions are always nice

• Aging is your call

• Skill bonus are always nice, the simple ones suck

• Complementary skills are always nice, and acting without skill is a no-no

• No literacy, No research specialties (i just plain don't like them)

• Skills over 100% only for supers; they can go over in atk/parry and split

• Pick your opposed skill roll method

• Encumbrance is useless

• Do use initiative rolls, whatever initiative you pick

• No powers. Supers already have their own built-in. Mages may use magic (if they are a Mage-like mage) or sorcery (if they are a cultist-like mage)

• No dodging missiles. AT ALL!

• Dying blows for supers

• Armor should be fixed (modern armor is rare and quite effective)

• Allegiance to dark stuff from beyond time is cool

• If players are gona go supers, total HP for them; otherwise it's just overkill

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"