What skill to forge documents?

Evilschemer

I think this would require two skills, one skill to know or learn about the kind of

official document (e.g. Knowledge/Bureaucracy or Research) and another skill

to produce the document (e.g. Art/Forgery).

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I think this would require two skills, one skill to know or learn about the kind of

official document (e.g. Knowledge/Bureaucracy or Research) and another skill

to produce the document (e.g. Art/Forgery).

Agreed. I believe this is how it was done "officially" - I'd have to look at some of my resources.

Ian

You Fantasy boys .... it depends on the setting as well ;)

In a modern setting you could use Technical (Programming) or Technical (Computer Use). Though Programming would be more a 'digital signature', while Computer Use would be using something like Photoshop to create a printable document. And the character would get 1/5 bonus of his Art (Painting) or Art (Photography) skill to that. :)

Edited by pansophy

I would use a combined skill roll with Knowledge or Research and Art (Forgery). You can determine success in one skill roll and it's nifty because based on which skill is lower, you know where the failure happened (info doesn't pass muster vs. appearance).

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Art (Forgery) as a skill on its own seems a bit too tight to me, unless the character is doing that as a professional. It would be a skill that only very few people have and that won't find a lot of use during an adventure campaign. Then it is too broad on the other hand, as it would merge different methods of forgery into one skill - not very realistic.

It is a difference if you forge an email, a PGP key, a document, an ID or passport and an invitation. All these things would make use of different other skills that a character would need to have - only to do a final Forgery test (or you allow 1/5 of one of these other skills as a bonus to the Forgery skill). To me Forgery is not a skill on its own and having it in my campaigns would waste some players Skill Percentages into a skill that is not used often.

Art (Forgery) can work in a setting where skills are a bit broader than in the generic BGB rules, though.

Edited by pansophy

You Fantasy boys .... it depends on the setting as well ;)

In a modern setting you could use Technical (Programming) or Technical (Computer Use). Though Programming would be more a 'digital signature', while Computer Use would be using something like Photoshop to create a printable document. And the character would get 1/5 bonus of his Art (Painting) or Art (Photography) skill to that. :)

One would assume that a skill called "Forgery" would adjust based upon setting such that in a high tech Sci-Fi setting, it would include the necessary "elite haxxorz skillz" to forge an electronic document. I prefer the broader skill since a highly skilled "professional" would know the various techniques necessary to forge a variety of items. I could also see using a skill tree so that you would have a top level general forgery skill, and then break down into forgery:art, forgery:electronic, forgery:document, etc.

Ian

This really does depend on what sort of setting you have and what sort of document you want to forge. To some extent, the necessary skill is the same one that would be used producing the "original," so if you want to forge a document from the king's chancery, you need your scribe skill. Perhaps making a phony copy look real is a Difficult task. The real problem, however, will be how to forge the chancery seal, or whatever authenticating mechanism they have.

Forging modern documents may involve a lot of technical skills like image manipulation so forth. Again, the problem would be how you are going to forge the authenticating features the document might have, such as special papers and so forth.

A general purpose skill like "forge" would be a simple way to cut out the detail in an appropriate setting. So in a crime or espionage setting, "Forge" covers a lot of technical skills, including printing, imaging, manipulating security chips, and so forth. It is a viable way to go if you don't want to look at any details, and might be best if you don't know enough about the practicalities of forging to break down all the skills needed.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

Delta Green, p. 281:

Forgery [00%]

Forgery is the ability to manufacture and falsify documents. This can range from simple personal letters to complete legal documents and identity papers. It is vital for espionage agencies and is also of use to criminals. Forgery skill also permits one to detect forged papers, currency, and the like.