Stormbringer Style Die-Rated Armor Rules

I believe in the 1st edition Stormbringer rules armor had a die rating (e.g. d4), and when attacked, you'd roll the die to see the amount of hit points the armor soaked for that attack.

I can't seem to find those as optional rules in the new BRUGE SRD; is that in there? Or are those rules published elsewhere besides 1st edition Stormbringer?

1 hour ago, Stan Shinn said:

I believe in the 1st edition Stormbringer rules armor had a die rating (e.g. d4), and when attacked, you'd roll the die to see the amount of hit points the armor soaked for that attack.

I can't seem to find those as optional rules in the new BRUGE SRD; is that in there? Or are those rules published elsewhere besides 1st edition Stormbringer?

I strongly suspect the rules you mention are in all versions of Stormbringer, but of course, Stormbringer is no longer available from Chaosium. However, the rules are included on page 69 and pages 73-77 in Chaosium's Magic World book, which is basically the same rules that were in Stormbringer 5th edition, minus the Stormbringer setting information which Chaosium no longer has the license for...

The rules for variable armor are also included in the original Big Gold Book on the lower right under the title "Random Armor Values" on page 195. I haven't purchased the new version of the Big Gold Book yet (though I will) so I don't know if those rules are still included.

• Thanks 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

In BR:UGE, Random Armor Values are an option, described on p.132, and the random and nonrandom armor values are listed in a table on p.175.

It recommends you don't use hit locations if you use Random Armor Values.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Questbird said:

In BR:UGE, Random Armor Values are an option, described on p.132, and the random and nonrandom armor values are listed in a table on p.175.

It recommends you don't use hit locations if you use Random Armor Values.

Ah, thank you so much @Questbird!!! I couldn't seem to find it in the index and I was looking at the Shield's table, and I forgot that shields work differently than armor because of the Parry rules. Anyway, thank you!  

• Like 1