Lunar Magic in The Lunar Way

21 hours ago, Dan McLaughlin said:

The Cyclical (Characteristic) spell. So in the glowline is it always half moon so it doesn't do anything or does it ignore the glowline or does the glowline mitigate the bad effects and you still get the full moon bonus?

You confusing the effect of casting spells within the Glowline with the effect of the spell. So the spell can be cast within the Glowline as All spells available and freely stackable. Once cast, the spell follows the Moon phases.

If you cast it on yourself can you just drop it when you don't want it any more,

No

or can you dispel it

Yes

or do you have to wait until it runs out?

Yes.

Note that if cast outside the Glowline on a Full Moon, its base duration is two weeks (stacking can then double, etc)

• Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 6/8/2024 at 2:57 PM, David Scott said:

It's always fun to run a game where every one is a Rune level, I've done it with troll, but a group of Seven Mothers Red Goddess initiates would be great.

I used to run a campaign about Lunar Coders back in the day -- which I set for reasons of ease as the group before the ones lead by Count Julan.

And it was great, to drop 3-5 high-power individuals in a small village of indomitable Gauls to prevent a rebellion before one takes place. 

My way of making scenarios is often open-ended, high-power and prone to cause a big mess. Maybe you coax the rebel leader to a duel, maybe you placate rebels by solving their problems. You can do whatever you like, but if the barbarians get angry, you better run if you can. 

Lunar Magic and Sorcery and Rune Points are great fun in that context, because as a GM you really don't know the full extent of the PC's powers. 

And this is actually why I'm asking some complex questions about how high power is intended to work with the new rules: Strangers in Prax was critical rules reference in showing how canonic high sub-Hero power level is intended to work.

I would have actually cast players as Julan, Anderida and others, but some of the stuff was a bit too much for that campaign -- Maculus was too complicated to play and the wyverns had a risk of stealing the show. 

And for that reason I'd really, really, really like to see stats for Kallyr, Fazzur, Ethilrist, Jar-Eel or Harrek, to get an understanding of how Chaosium thinks about Heroes and Superheroes. Its totally fine if the stats are silly insane, we already have the Bat... and it's not like Sarostip's eye is "reasonable" either. Is Harrek's attack 200% or 500%? 

I know Runequest doesn't budge that way easily, so I think there'd be a good case for a sourcebook for Hero Characters.