Shipping & Fulfilment Update: 29 April 2024

MOB

Delays and supply chain disruptions continue to affect international shipping movements all over the world, and have sadly conspired against the previously announced release dates for our newest RuneQuest and Pendragon titles. While we had some advance copies available for lucky attendees at Chaosium Con in Ann Arbor the weekend before last, these had been air-shipped specially for the convention.

Our main shipments are sent by sea container, and unfortunately that's where complications arise: alas, the vagaries of international shipping have led to delays beyond our control. We know these titles are eagerly awaited, and we apologise for the disappointment.

• The release date for Cults of RuneQuest: The Lunar Way is now May 22nd. The book (hardcover and special leatherette) will be available from our US, UK, and EU warehouses. It will be available from our AU warehouse in June.
  • The Pendragon Core Rules and The Grey Knight will now be released worldwide in June. We will have a specific release date closer to the time.
Edited by MOB
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 7

It is a shame to „punish“ the eu, uk and us-customers for Transportproblems. Why not pre-order with pdf like BRP and RIvers as a goodie for to long time we waited??? This would be a great gesture to the audience…

Thanks for the update MOB. It's much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I do hope Chaosium continues to provide target release windows for new books. I hoped to hear information sooner (even just "it's on a boat and out of our control, sorry!"), but I do still like knowing what future releases are intended. Missing the target isn't the end of the world—I feel it's the "not knowing" which causes frustration.

Here's hoping everything reaches AU without further issue! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

On 4/30/2024 at 5:35 AM, NurgleHH said:

It is a shame to „punish“ the eu, uk and us-customers for Transportproblems. Why not pre-order with pdf like BRP and RIvers as a goodie for to long time we waited??? This would be a great gesture to the audience…

Chaosium doesn't do "pre-orders" -- they're allergic to that specific language (I think for legal reasons).

But they have been very clear that they also will not be doing a "PDF First, then physical book later as-available" sales model.  It's a huge hassle (aka "expense") on the back-end for them to do it that way, with little to no advantage in sales-numbers.

US/UK/EU customers aren't being "punished" for AU's sins -- we are getting it as soon as available, while the AU contingent will have to wait.

(personally, I would *love* to get the PDF first (as in "right now"); I have cut my Chaosium-direct buying to only those titles they DO release PDF-first (and buy from a Bits&Mortar participating FLGS for all other Chaosium books)).

C'es ne pas un .sig

It is not understandable. They did pre-order with BRP and Rivers of London, why not with Pendragon. And, yes, I think it is "punishment" for the rest of the world to wait until it arrives in AU.... But I think Chaosium is not really interested in the customers opinion....very bad behaviour...

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 2:14 AM, NurgleHH said:

... And, yes, I think it is "punishment" for the rest of the world to wait until it arrives in AU...

Look  again, dude:  the US/UK/EU  are not waiting  on  AU:
 - 22 May for US/UK/EU
 - "in June" for AU

On 5/2/2024 at 2:14 AM, NurgleHH said:

... They did pre-order with BRP and Rivers of London ...

BRP was a special case:   Chaosium needed to get it onto the market as fast as humanly possible.  They were trying to "catch the wave" of discontent following Hasbro/WotC's OGLpocalypse (them caving all the way back to CreativeCommons I think soothed a lot of ruffled feathers, and put extra pressure on those trying to ride that wave).

I don't know why they did RoL differently.  It's possible there was a contractual obligation (it's only a licensed IP, they don't control it).  There may have been specific tie-in's to the novels' release-schedule, too, where getting any version of the RPG out the door in time with a new novel was a priority.

In the end:  Chaosium is in the business of selling RPG's.  They seem to be pretty damned good at it, too... (they took a failing company and turned it into one of the top few, in just a few years).  I expect they have very good reasons to do it they way they're doing it (even if I too prefer to get the PDFs on an ASAP basis); I expect they are selling the most books they know how to sell...

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig