The Daughter's Road

Arkangel

In the GM Pack for RQG there's a map showing an aqueduct going from Filichet to Jilaro, and then another one moving perpendicular to it from Cafol to Hilltown. I can only presume these are the Daughter's Roads, but I can't find anything to indicate it's a raised road, or if it's both a road and aqueduct.

Does anyone know of where, or have, any idea of what this road looks like beyond the mention if the Red Queen hiring engineers and workers, and paving it with crushed moon stones?

Thanks in advance!

From The Lunar Way:

Paved over with crushed stone, each road is 15 meters wide. Every 40 kilometers is marked by a crystalline temple to Hwarin Dalthippa. The roads are perfectly level, and as they travel over rivers, valleys, and lowlands, the roads are elevated atop high arched bridgework. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

In my mind, some parts of it might resemble the Si-o-se-pol and Khaju bridges.

• Helpful 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

3 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

In my mind, some parts of it might resemble the Si-o-se-pol and Khaju bridges.

Yes! This is EXACTLY what I thought they were in style, but by their drawing they look like Roman aqueducts. My thought was they might be both an elevated road and an aqueduct, but now I'm thinking one level might be for travel in one direction and the other vice-versa.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Arkangel said:

I'm thinking one level might be for travel in one direction and the other vice-versa.

According to the Guide, the upper level is of ritual significance and used in “magical ceremonies of importance to the Empire,” while the lower level is fully open to the public. Hwarin is associated with conquest, the civilizing urge of empire, and valor in battle against the barbarian, after all— literally walking in her footsteps is symbolically potent.

The stone arches keep the Road off the ground. One may also be reminded of Sartar’s own acts of magical roadmaking.

Harald Smith’s Edge of Empire has some interesting content about the Daughter’s Road, as well as a great illustration from Simon Bray of a shrine on the Singing Trail (page 197, if you have it to hand). The Singing Trail is the road that runs from Cafol to Hilltown, in Imther, which naturally makes it of great interest to the Imtherians.

Edited by Tatterdemalion Fox
  • Helpful 1

On 5/22/2024 at 7:56 AM, Arkangel said:

In the GM Pack for RQG there's a map showing an aqueduct going from Filichet to Jilaro, and then another one moving perpendicular to it from Cafol to Hilltown. I can only presume these are the Daughter's Roads, but I can't find anything to indicate it's a raised road, or if it's both a road and aqueduct.

Several examples of the Daughter's Roads in my Edge of Empire including discussion of the roads.

These are both multi-level roads. There is a broad lower road used for transport of goods and the army, then an upper magical road used exclusively in religious ceremonies, and then a narrow aqueduct at the top. The Pont du Gard in France is an excellent image to work from.

From Glorantha Sourcebook p.17 (and originally noted in Wyrms Footnotes): [The First Daughter's Road] "Paved with crushed stone, it is twelve wagons wide and each day’s march is marked with a temple. The main trunk extends from Jillaro-of-the-Prince’s Green to Filichet."

"the lesser one is called the Singing Trail. It is eight wagons wide and runs from Calf-wool Stands, in the Sylila Satrapy, to Hilltown in Imther."

The two roads are continuously level (with slight downslopes in each direction to the Oslir at Jillaro). Bridged arches support the roads across any valleys along the way. The roads cross (on all levels) at the Bridge of Phirmax where Jillaro comes down to the river. 

If you stand upon the Bridge of Phirmax and look south along the Daughter's Road, though the road does not go beyond Filichet, the view aligns to Kero Fin. If you stand at the same point and look west along the Singing Trail it aligns perfectly with Top of the World (and looking east with Giant Top Mountain in Imther). If you stand straddling the two at the crossing and look with magical sight towards Kero Fin with one eye and Top of the World with the other, you'll find they converge into a view of the Spike).

On 5/22/2024 at 12:15 PM, Arkangel said:

now I'm thinking one level might be for travel in one direction and the other vice-versa.

Better to think the lower level is close to earth = mundane; the upper level is closer to the Moon = magical/mystical/ceremonial.

On 5/22/2024 at 7:56 AM, Arkangel said:

the Red Queen hiring engineers and workers, and paving it with crushed moon stones?

The path of the road was marked by Hwarin Dalthippa riding upon her war unicorn. The pathways (IMO) are not just paved with crushed moon stones. Within the foundational blocks and roadbed, you'll also find the crushed bones and blood of her conquered foes. There's a very good reason why the Singing Trail is called that! (The bound ghosts still sing their unearthly laments!)

I've included Simon Bray's version below (originally in TotRM #16 for my article there and reprinted by permission in Edge of Empire).

image.thumb.jpeg.a5b9e7d7a4b2360d9655df21f24c2ddb.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arkangel said:

I'm really liking this setting, and game. Glorantha is a very exciting setting and one the most detailed I've ever seen.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, and yes there is some excellent detail.

Btw, another great view of the Daughter's Road is the cover of Martin Helsdon's Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass. Depicts a regiment of the Lunar army setting out from Mirin's Cross upon the road.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 1:21 PM, jajagappa said:

Btw, another great view of the Daughter's Road is the cover of Martin Helsdon's Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass. Depicts a regiment of the Lunar army setting out from Mirin's Cross upon the road.

I happen to own this title and now that it's been pointed out, I see the road in the background. And true to my word, I did pick up your title and am enjoying it. Excellent work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkangel said:

I happen to own this title and now that it's been pointed out, I see the road in the background. And true to my word, I did pick up your title and am enjoying it. Excellent work.

Jar-eel and her army are marching on the lower level.

• Like 2