illumination and cult restrictions

So illumination can allow people to ignore certain cult restrictions, but i'm wondering erxactly what they can ignore.
For example, say there is a illuminated yelm priest, and he wants to initiate a illuminated woman into the cult would that be possible. I imagine a illuminated broo would be able to join lawful cults, if the priest  would allow it.
Could a illuminate avoid having to give money and time to his temple?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theconfusingeel said:

and he wants to initiate a illuminated woman into the cult would that be possible.

Magically, yes. The current lunar leadership might well argue against it as too provoking a move for non-illuminates, too fast too soon. Maybe there is a 'don't ask don't tell' rule in place.

12 minutes ago, theconfusingeel said:

Not for a Lunar cult; that is what Tax Demons are for. The clear implication in the text is that unlike normal spirits of retribution, they don't care about whether you feel guilty, confess, have a valid excuse, or anything else about your psychological or spiritual state. Numbers add up, you are ok. If not, not.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, theconfusingeel said:

So illumination can allow people to ignore certain cult restrictions,

Only if they have that power. As it's number 6, it's down the list.

but i'm wondering exactly what they can ignore.

LW 96 says those that involve retribution from the god. But not including sprits of Reprisal is as immunity to those is a separate and rarer ability (number 7). 

For example, say there is a illuminated yelm priest, and he wants to initiate a illuminated woman into the cult would that be possible.

If they don't have sense illumination in others, neither may know that each other is illuminated, and there's not actually a restriction on women joining the cult. If it was a cult like Waha which is male only, they could do it in secret, but publicly that's going to be retribution from those who have seen what has happened. Waha won't care (in towns I imagine there are more than a few female Waha initiates in the butchers guilds).

I imagine a illuminated broo would be able to join lawful cults, if the priest would allow it.

Not if the cult specifically prohibits creatures of Chaos. Broo can join Chalana Arroy, but not Storm Bull.

That's between the initiate and the temple's priests, so no. Illumination wont hide you on the chore list. However if they went away for years and never returned, when they did they could lie and no one would know any different, so yes.

You could probable not sacrifice magic points on holy days.

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Only if they have that power. As it's number 6, it's down the list.

LW 96 says those that involve retribution from the god. But not including sprits of Reprisal is as immunity to those is a separate and rarer ability (number 7). 

If they don't have sense illumination in others, neither may know that each other is illuminated, and there's not actually a restriction on women joining the cult. If it was a cult like Waha which is male only, they could do it in secret, but publicly that's going to be retribution from those who have seen what has happened. Waha won't care (in towns I imagine there are more than a few female Waha initiates in the butchers guilds).

Not if the cult specifically prohibits creatures of Chaos. Broo can join Chalana Arroy, but not Storm Bull.

That's between the initiate and the temple's priests, so no. Illumination wont hide you on the chore list. However if they went away for years and never returned, when they did they could lie and no one would know any different, so yes.

You could probable not sacrifice magic points on holy days.

I don't know how to say this, but I think you're taking what I wrote on the most literal level, no offense.
I thought it was implicit that I'm considering the parties in here having the powers that would allow this>

But on another note, Why would a illuminated broo be unable to join those cults? I'm assuming a scenario like the Yelm woman one. If illumination lets you do stuff like be a Orlanth cultist and a Mallia cultist at the same time, breaking race barriers on cults shouldn't be impossible either.

Edited by theconfusingeel

Why would a illuminated broo be unable to join those cults?

If they are obviously a broo and joining the cult is forbidden (as you look like forbidden chaos), it's more a practical consideration. If you have a priest that will initiate you then that's the first hurdle gone. Next - recovering Rune points at a holy day ceremony, if the entire congregation are forbidden members, that's fine, but otherwise there's the whole "look there's a broo here..."

If you're not a broo (scorpion folk, or any other non-human chaos folk, etc, except of course ogres) it's so much easier.

I'm assuming a scenario like the Yelm woman one. If illumination lets you do stuff like be a Orlanth cultist and a Mallia cultist at the same time, breaking race barriers on cults shouldn't be impossible either.

Yes but see but see above.

Illumination is a mystical state of mind that doesn't solve or counter everyday problems.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/