The THING in the jar!

seneschal

Starship Modeler - Unspeakable Creations Pt. 1

Ran across this article at the Starship Modeler web site, and it gives links to similar sites. However, this one has the best "thing" of the ones I've viewed.

Interestingly, my wife recently began fermenting a supposed health brew called kefir (aka keifer), which is created by feeding sugar water to a fungi starter that she got from my natural foods-conscious sister. The large pickle jar she has it growing in looks disturbingly like these craft projects. The mass must be up to two or three pounds by now. My sister assures me it won't escape at night to prey upon us, but why then do I keep finding those wet trails across the kitchen floor early in the morning? =O

Kefir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 6 months later...

After a few weeks, the new wore off and my wife tired of feeding the THING in the jar sugar. It died a long, slow, agonizing, appropriately icky death -- first separating into a series of broad, mushroom cap-like discs, then rotting. She only recently dumped it and bleached the jar.