Where in the Grazelands is Hendroste Horsemaster of Apple Lane originally from?

Tobbe-A

Where in the Grazelands is Hendroste Horsemaster of Apple Lane originally from?

"The other half of the building houses Hendroste the
Horsemaster, his wife Jeena, and her four-year-old son
Jenestan. Hendroste is a Grazelander who came here two
years ago (1623 ST) with a string of fine horses, seeking adventure and
following a mysterious vision that led him to Apple Lane."

Edited by Tobbe-A

Apple Lane is the 'Hommlet' or 'Shadowdale' of early RQ. It was designed as the players' start point for adventuring, with an eclectic mix of personalities and available trainers.

Hendroste was never fully fleshed out insofar as background and history. He was intended to be an expert trainer for bow and horses, but at that time the Grazelands were just 'over there somewhere'... the focus of RQ's efforts in those days was either resisting the Lunars in Sartar or heading to Pavis and Prax. Nowadays we have MUCH more information about outlying areas like Esrolia, Grazelands, Tarsh, etc.

So feel free to adjust Hendroste's background to suit your needs. He's clearly a Grazelander not a vendref, but other than that you've got a clean slate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Biles said:

The Grazelands is rather short on places to 'be from'.

I don't think we even have a list of clan names.

There is a new Jonstown Compendium publication on the Grazelands.  Two PDF volumes.  It just made silver at about the two week mark.  The second one is about clans.      There is a two volume bundle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Biles said:

The Grazelands is rather short on places to 'be from'.

True, but it's still a heck of a lot more than we had in RQ2 and 3. Back then, I don't think it was widely known that Grazelanders were Yelm-ites. I certainly didn't know it at the time and I'm as big an RQ grog as anybody.

And, of course, see @Squaredeal Sten's comment about the JC writing.

7 hours ago, John Biles said:

David Dunham (of KODP and Six Ages fame) put together some excellent material on the Grazelands back in the 1990s, including a list of clans.

I’m still reading through John Lawson’s JC magnum opus (which is very detailed and full of fun ideas, if quite YGWV) but I get the impression that almost all of the clans detailed in Vol 2 (Clans of the Pure Horse People) are taken from David Dunham’s list.

• Like 2