Horror Setting in BRP

auyl

The main horror adventures I ran (and still run) are Call of Cthulhu ones. But I use the rules of the Big Golden Book rather than those of Call of Cthulhu. So, this book contains everything you need to run any horror style.

Sanity rules are very good, for instance... As soon as you interpret the results: a failed roll which doesn't lead to insanity (a loss of less than 5 sanity points) still has to be described. The victim can for instance scream, tremble, sweat a lot, flee away, vomit, etc., depending on what he exactly sees and your willing, as GM.

Actually, GM descriptions are what makes a good horror game. Rules are exactly as special effects in a movie. They can add something, but the suspense doesn't depend on them. A movie horror can be an abysmal failure despite of good special effects (Herbert West, Reanimator, which eventually make me laugh), while another can really frighten you without special effect (Psychose).

The BRP system, because it is very rule light, is precisely one of the best games for horror genre. The GM doesn't have a lot of rules to think about and so, his mind is free to think to the most important: descriptions, atmosphere and suspense.

The main horror adventures I ran (and still run) are Call of Cthulhu ones. But I use the rules of the Big Golden Book rather than those of Call of Cthulhu. So, this book contains everything you need to run any horror style.

Sanity rules are very good, for instance... As soon as you interpret the results: a failed roll which doesn't lead to insanity (a loss of less than 5 sanity points) still has to be described. The victim can for instance scream, tremble, sweat a lot, flee away, vomit, etc., depending on what he exactly sees and your willing, as GM.

Actually, GM descriptions are what makes a good horror game. Rules are exactly as special effects in a movie. They can add something, but the suspense doesn't depend on them. A movie horror can be an abysmal failure despite of good special effects (Herbert West, Reanimator, which eventually make me laugh), while another can really frighten you without special effect (Psychose).

The BRP system, because it is very rule light, is precisely one of the best games for horror genre. The GM doesn't have a lot of rules to think about and so, his mind is free to think to the most important: descriptions, atmosphere and suspense.

All good advice. I read CoC first and then got BRP afterwards and found CoC not as developed as BRP. Sure the rules work for what CoC is, and I'm not bashing it, I just found BRP to be a step ahead for more experienced gamers. Hence why I was wondering what other people have done if they used a horror setting with BRP.

The GM's ability to story tell is important in any horror game, as I've done it many times, just not with BRP. I'd like to try it sometime with BRP if I can get people in my area away from D&D and Pathfinder.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

All good advice. I read CoC first and then got BRP afterwards and found CoC not as developed as BRP. Sure the rules work for what CoC is, and I'm not bashing it, I just found BRP to be a step ahead for more experienced gamers. Hence why I was wondering what other people have done if they used a horror setting with BRP.

Saying what you say is not at all bashing CoC. It's a matter of fact! The BRP golden book is more developed than CoC in terms of rules. But CoC is more developed for what it is designed to do: lovecraftian horror. So, both are great even if BRP contains all the rules of CoC... Plus many others!

It explains why I use Call of Cthulhu adventures with the big golden books. Since I've got a lot of CoC books, I store up the advantages of both!

The GM's ability to story tell is important in any horror game, as I've done it many times, just not with BRP.

What game system did you use before? Personally, I come from GURPS and have switched to BRP mainly for its simplicity.

Saying what you say is not at all bashing CoC. It's a matter of fact! The BRP golden book is more developed than CoC in terms of rules. But CoC is more developed for what it is designed to do: lovecraftian horror. So, both are great even if BRP contains all the rules of CoC... Plus many others!

It explains why I use Call of Cthulhu adventures with the big golden books. Since I've got a lot of CoC books, I store up the advantages of both!

What game system did you use before? Personally, I come from GURPS and have switched to BRP mainly for its simplicity.

I've played quite a bit of CoC, oWod and some Dead Reign and Nightbane from Palladium Books. All four systems require the storyteller/gm to have a developed plot and be able to tell a story (obviously from CoC). OWod more than the Palladium games and CoC more than any of them, but I still try and focus more on story due to my gm'ing experience.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

I've played quite a bit of CoC, oWod and some Dead Reign and Nightbane from Palladium Books. All four systems require the storyteller/gm to have a developed plot and be able to tell a story (obviously from CoC). OWod more than the Palladium games and CoC more than any of them, but I still try and focus more on story due to my gm'ing experience.

OK. I don't know at all Dead Reign and Nightbane and just played a bit of WoD...

But since you know CoC, you know the main qualities of the BRP system. And since you mainly focus on storytelling, there will be no problem for you: the BRP big golden book will let you enjoy the same qualities in any horror genre you can imagine.

One of the greatest features of BRP is its modularity: optional rules can be added or removed, depending on what you exactly want...

– Sanity rules can be removed in comical horror stories (Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness).

– Hit locations can be added for a gore horror story where dismemberment may become important.

– Disease rules can or cannot be useful (the Walking Dead)

– Combat options can be added or removed depending on how much precision you want for your combats (John Carpenter's Vampire).

– Etc.

Furthermore, the big golden book give you equipment for almost every world, past, present or future... What about SF horror for instance (Alien, Event Horizon...)?

And if you want something else than horror stories, the BRP golden book also make it possible!

;-)

One thing I like about the Big Gold Book is the multiple powers sets: Magic, Mutations, Super Powers. They enable me to craft the critters, monsters, and aliens I think up. CoC has monsters, but a lot of their powers and abilities are sort of hand-waved. With the BGB you've got the tools to create your monster and understand how it works. For example, if you want to create antediluvian telepathic, far-leaping grasshopper men from Mars (Quartermass and the Pit), you've got many of those abilities already laid out for you.

I've created my own horror setting for BRP, and I'll say that what scares one person may just turn off another. For me, what works best is a combination of isolation, body horror, insanity (And the epic mindf*** that goes with it), and a lack of hope for a better future.

But being unable to fight back, even if all it does is delay the inevitable at great risk to myself, is something that makes such a setting just boring for me. When fight or flight comes around, I prefer fight, and if flight is the only option, it has to be full of panic, and little actions that can be taken to slow down incoming death are more than welcome as a bonus.

In other words, in terms of actions, don't make the setting railroad the players in terms of options.

Above all, both the story and gameplay have to be engaging. You can't have either element left wanting. Thankfully, due to the BRP system, if you're hosting the rules in a reasonable but unforgiving fashion this works perfectly. How I'd handle it is a generic template for the monsters aside from those intended to be special conflicts, full maps of the area if time allows (Really important for a setting like a spaceship or space station with confined quarters), and if not that, maps of each area you intend combat to be in.

If a monster doesn't feel right, alter the template or create a series of optional alterations to it that can be added at random.

And remember to look at your players once in a while. Their reactions are what matters.

Edited by Link6746
Removed Quote