The Magic Book - Spirit Magic

Paul_Va

I have a question regarding the number of starting spells for new shamans. I want to implement Spirit Magic in my Heian Japan campaign for Shinto priests. I don't plan on using the fetch rules, as I want the rules to be light and intuitive, and the fetch aspect seems overly complicated. So, I'm wondering how many spells a new character would have in a campaign at the regular power level. Any suggestions?

You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE

I have a question regarding the number of starting spells for new shamans. I want to implement Spirit Magic in my Heian Japan campaign for Shinto priests. I don't plan on using the fetch rules, as I want the rules to be light and intuitive, and the fetch aspect seems overly complicated. So, I'm wondering how many spells a new character would have in a campaign at the regular power level. Any suggestions?

My books are at home, but a starting PC (assuming novice) I'd say a few points (3 - 4). If they are entering play as a full priest, I'd go as far as half INT in spells, with maybe a limit of no more than 4 points in anyone one spell (so no Healing or Bladesharp 6's)...

Cheers,

Nick

Uhm, did you refer to the "Land of Ninja" old supplement for this? It has a nice treatment of Shinto, although from the usual RQ3 point of view of "everyone has magic, priests just have more of it" that might not be the same approach you are adopting in your game.

In particular, a Shinto Priest would be created using the Priest section of previous experience, thus providing him with 1 point of Spirit Magic for each year of experience (2d6 in the standard game), but I suspect there are special rules I cannot recall at present that may increase this nummber. In short, the answer is quite likely "between half INT and full INT in points".

Finally, remember that Spirit Magic is not just "for Shamans" in Magic Book. Divine Magicians use Spirit Magic a lot. Japanese religion has nothing shamanistic, it is animistic but its priests are, well.. priests, not shamans. Land of Ninja has good rules for Spirit Interaction that work much better than those in the Magic Book for Japan. In any case, I suggest you focus on the Divine Magic chapter of the Magic Book rather than the Spirit Magic chapter when modeling Shinto in your game.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Uhm, did you refer to the "Land of Ninja" old supplement for this? It has a nice treatment of Shinto, although from the usual RQ3 point of view of "everyone has magic, priests just have more of it" that might not be the same approach you are adopting in your game.

In particular, a Shinto Priest would be created using the Priest section of previous experience, thus providing him with 1 point of Spirit Magic for each year of experience (2d6 in the standard game), but I suspect there are special rules I cannot recall at present that may increase this nummber. In short, the answer is quite likely "between half INT and full INT in points".

Finally, remember that Spirit Magic is not just "for Shamans" in Magic Book. Divine Magicians use Spirit Magic a lot. Japanese religion has nothing shamanistic, it is animistic but its priests are, well.. priests, not shamans. Land of Ninja has good rules for Spirit Interaction that work much better than those in the Magic Book for Japan. In any case, I suggest you focus on the Divine Magic chapter of the Magic Book rather than the Spirit Magic chapter when modeling Shinto in your game.

Hmm, you might have a point. I'll give the Divine magic a closer look.

You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE