Using elements of Heroquest's mechanics in Runequest

Nevun

I've played a bit of both systems recently - trying to decide on what system to use.

While there is much I love about Heroquest i am still very much attached to the old-school system of combat simulation and gearing up *to things HQ does not do that well).

I'm considering introducing some of the elements of the Heroquest system into Runequest to see how it goes. Has anyone had a go at this before? Or even had thoughts about it?

My thoughts:

• Utilise HQ 1-20 + masteries instead of RQ %ile. Should make for more seamless, higher level campaigns. Experience gain would be faster (1 point HQ gain is equivelent to 5% RQ) but not by a lot when you consider an optional suggestion was to use 1d6+1 for % gains in RQ. This would not be too dissimilar to Pendragon or PendragonPass.
  • Use of Augments when appropriate. An expansion on the Passions set of abilities.
  • Replacing RQ experience rolls + luck points with HQ Hero Points in some way.

Unfortunately integrating HQ smooth "you name it - it goes" ability system isn't really practical in RQ as RQ has a similar framework to so many RPGs; Two system tacked together. One for resolving success or failures of abilities. Another for dealing and measuring damage. The two don't automatically co-relate. Whereas HQ has only the one system.

Does anyone have anything they can add to this? Ideas or experience in trying something similar?

Edited by Nevun
Add tags.

You lose critical successes when switching to d20 or at least, you start to stagger step them, eg a Skill of 20 means you critical on a 1 or 2.

I've often considered using masteries by using the same mechanic on the d100. A skill of 117% is 1m17.

Bottom line, I don't see a mechanical reason to switch (or keep) the dice mechanic. I would default to the source material I reference the most.

• Like 1

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

On 8/1/2016 at 5:04 PM, Iskallor said:

I use the three runes for characters in my RQII game, using them as augments and stand alone stats, especially for when they are heroquesting. I augment skill rolls with other skills to if the needs arise.

I had forgotten about the runes. Doh!

How do you implement them? Augments are obvious. Character traits maybe. Would you use them in place of the primary magic skill? One relevant rune in place of Devotion, Spirit in place of Trance, Law or Magic in place of Invocation etc.

Edited by Nevun

7 hours ago, Harshax said:

You lose critical successes when switching to d20 or at least, you start to stagger step them, eg a Skill of 20 means you critical on a 1 or 2.

I've often considered using masteries by using the same mechanic on the d100. A skill of 117% is 1m17.

Bottom line, I don't see a mechanical reason to switch (or keep) the dice mechanic. I would default to the source material I reference the most.

Ya. You would lose a bit of granularity. I remains to be tested whether the loss of granularity and added bookkeeping etc is worth the simplification. I wanted to go 1-20 for skills to make them match (more closely) the stat range. That pulls stats and skills into basically the same skill envelope.

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, January 08, 2016 at 0:14 AM, Nevun said:

I had forgotten about the runes. Doh!

How do you implement them? Augments are obvious. Character traits maybe. Would you use them in place of the primary magic skill? One relevant rune in place of Devotion, Spirit in place of Trance, Law or Magic in place of Invocation etc.

Membership of cults, relationships, character traits, heroquesting: used to do stuff, in place of skills. I use RQ2 so no trance etc.

I really like the implementation of Runes in HQ, but I find myself somewhat unwilling to completely abandon the standard theist and sorcery skills in their favor. Allowing Rune ratings to be used as augments for spells is compatible with the rules. Using Rune ratings in place of Folk Magic skill for appropriate folk magic spells is very much in keeping with the HQ idea of using Runes for augments.