Some help with starting a Dune Campaign

KPhan2121

I may start a Dune campaign for my players in the near future. I would like your advice on what I would need to have it feel like Dune. It will be set right after the end of the first Dune novel during Paul's conquest of the Imperium.

For Holtzman Shields, I would treat them like the energy shields in the book with some changes. First, the base chance of a Holtzman Shield is going to be 5x a character's Dex and this base chance is added to the character's parry skill when blocking with the shield. Second, the percent of chance it would block missile weapons is 100% even if it is a firearm. Thrown weapons and other low velocity projectiles would decrease this chance to 60%.

For melee weapons, should I use Vibro-swords and knives but rename them? Or simply use Historic Melee weapons and have them penetrate armor? Or only penetrate half armor value? Or do something else entirely?

For the abilities of the characters I am thinking of using superpowers (Using Unified Powers Houserule) but limiting it to things that would make sense in the setting. For example, a Bene Gesserit Adapt would have The Voice and it would be a Limited Form of Mind control. A swordmaster or assassin would simply have a bunch of extra skill points to signify their mastery in stealth or swords. 

Is there anything I'm missing?

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

Shields render armour redundant, so no one would wear it. Only Arakkis and some other places would limit shield use. Shield fighting should be a skill separate from normal weapon skill ("The slow blade penetrates the shield"). Therefore weapons could be the normal variety (energised ones might be nullified by the shield). Prescience could be a skill for Guild Navigators or maybe Dune prophets. Cthulhu Rising by Jon Ossoway has a good precognition psychic powers section, but there might be others.

25 minutes ago, Questbird said:

Shield fighting should be a skill separate from normal weapon skill ("The slow blade penetrates the shield").

So Shield Fighting should be a martial art? But instead of giving bonus damage, it bypasses the shield? I'm not sure if I like that, it makes the use a Holtzman Shield too passive. 

Shields render armour redundant, so no one would wear it.

I got the impression armor is still a thing, but it's more for defense against maula pistols and other weapons that can bypass the shield. Found mention of Armor in the Dune Wikipedia. http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/House_Trooper

Therefore weapons could be the normal variety (energised ones might be nullified by the shield). Prescience could be a skill for Guild Navigators or maybe Dune prophets.

Ok. On a side note, were spears and other bladed polearms used in battle?

26 minutes ago, Questbird said:

Cthulhu Rising by Jon Ossoway has a good precognition psychic powers section, but there might be others.

Cool, I'll check it out if I can find the pdf for cheap.

10 hours ago, KPhan2121 said:

So Shield Fighting should be a martial art? But instead of giving bonus damage, it bypasses the shield? I'm not sure if I like that, it makes the use a Holtzman Shield too passive.

I just remember that fighting with shields is very different from without. When Paul Atreides fought Feyd Rautha at the end of Dune, I recall that Lady Jessica was concerned that his reactions might be off because there were shields in use.

I would have shield fighting as a separate skill, though possibly learnable two-for-one along with weapons by nobles or house officers, ie. a fighting style. You can't fight a shielded opponent using weapon skills higher than your shield fighting skill. Also there should be some penalty (maybe 5 DEX ranks) for fighting against unshielded opponents who are used to fighting unshielded (eg. Fremen).

12 hours ago, Questbird said:

I just remember that fighting with shields is very different from without. When Paul Atreides fought Feyd Rautha at the end of Dune, I recall that Lady Jessica was concerned that his reactions might be off because there were shields in use.

I would have shield fighting as a separate skill, though possibly learnable two-for-one along with weapons by nobles or house officers, ie. a fighting style. You can't fight a shielded opponent using weapon skills higher than your shield fighting skill. Also there should be some penalty (maybe 5 DEX ranks) for fighting against unshielded opponents who are used to fighting unshielded (eg. Fremen).

I'm not sure I understand, so you're not saying to make Shield Fighting a martial art? Can you elaborate on how this new skill would work in the game?

On 4/12/2016 at 9:22 AM, KPhan2121 said:

I'm not sure I understand, so you're not saying to make Shield Fighting a martial art? Can you elaborate on how this new skill would work in the game?

Well, your Shield Fighting skill could add to your weapon skill vs. a shielded opponent. House agents might well learn

Shield Fighting 50%, Rapier 50% and count themselves invulnerable -- until they fought unshielded.

Or, fighting a shielded opponent with a melee weapon could be a Difficult task unless you have Shield Fighting skill, and then you can only use weapon skill up to your Shield Fighting (a bit like fighting from horseback can't be better than your Ride skill).

eg. Mars Roganto has 65% dagger and 40% Shield Fighting. He could make dagger attacks up to 40% while fighting a Shielded opponent. Otherwise his chance would be 33% (halved).

However, due to the prevalence of shields among noble houses, I think that for those types certain 'honorable' weaponskills and shield fighting might well be taught together as a 'fighting style' (as Duncan Idaho did for Paul). In game terms this would mean that during character buying the two skills together would be cheaper than buying them separately. For example if you spend 50 skill points on Rapier and 50 skill points on Shield Fighting it might only cost you 75 points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Questbird said:

Well, your Shield Fighting skill could add to your weapon skill vs. a shielded opponent. House agents might well learn

Shield Fighting 50%, Rapier 50% and count themselves invulnerable -- until they fought unshielded.

Or, fighting a shielded opponent with a melee weapon could be a Difficult task unless you have Shield Fighting skill, and then you can only use weapon skill up to your Shield Fighting (a bit like fighting from horseback can't be better than your Ride skill).

eg. Mars Roganto has 65% dagger and 40% Shield Fighting. He could make dagger attacks up to 40% while fighting a Shielded opponent. Otherwise his chance would be 33% (halved).

However, due to the prevalence of shields among noble houses, I think that for those types certain 'honorable' weaponskills and shield fighting might well be taught together as a 'fighting style' (as Duncan Idaho did for Paul). In game terms this would mean that during character buying the two skills together would be cheaper than buying them separately. For example if you spend 50 skill points on Rapier and 50 skill points on Shield Fighting it might only cost you 75 points.

Ah, that makes much more sense. I should also add that a shield-trained person(without a working shield) fighting an unsheilded person would be at a disadvatage as well. Maybe make a hard idea check to not use shield fighting techniques. If the idea check fails, parries and dodges against their attacks are considered easy. If they pass, they don't need to roll an idea check until another fight. Shield fighting is fast on the defense, but slow on the attack.

Should I use the laser rifle and pistol stats as written in the book? I think these stats are a little weak compared to what they do in the book. Maybe increase magazine size and give the option to burst fire?