Questions about publishing for BRP

TheShadow

I'd like to know about options for publishing BRP projects. My preference is to self-publish a stand-alone product, but I'm hoping I can support BRP with it rather than using the MRQ OGL.

Would Chaosium consider licensing out the system, or do they prefer to allow only in-house products?

Are any of the setting books which have been announced stand-alone products, or do they require the BRP book?

TheShadow

I'd like to know about options for publishing BRP projects. My preference is to self-publish a stand-alone product, but I'm hoping I can support BRP with it rather than using the MRQ OGL.

Sounds good! :)

Would Chaosium consider licensing out the system, or do they prefer to allow only in-house products?

They do license the system. So far we are only aware about DeadWorld, which will be published by Seraphim Gueard, but they are open for more. You can find a sketch of their license requirements in the download section on this site.

Are any of the setting books which have been announced stand-alone products, or do they require the BRP book?

Standalone products, you then mean setting books with ALL the neccessary BRP rules included? I don't think so, but I don't think there's any restriction against it in the license requirements sketch either.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Your best bet is to talk to Chaosium direct - no one here is a Chaosium employee nor any sort of official spokesperson for them. I'd recommend contacting Dustin Wright in the first instance.

But supporting BRP without using the MRQ OGL is certainly possible.

So far, three types of product are on the horizon, as far as I can tell. Firstly, Chaosium are obviously going to do their own support material. They have also released a specimen BRP license for third party publishers wishing to produce BRP supplements, a copy is hosted here . The specimen license is explicitly for supplements only - clause 1 states that the license is for "supplements to the Works" and that "You can not, for example, create a stand-alone roleplaying game."

Thirdly they have licensed at least one third party publisher (Seraphim Guard) to produce a stand alone BRP game. So Chaosium clearly will consider licensing for standalone products, but for the one we know of at least, the licensing arrangement is specific to that product line, and separately negotiated.

Cheers,

Nick