Trollfriend

Jarulf

I'm currently running a slow moving RQ3 game for my nephew. He helped a band of exiled trolls last time we played so I thought I'd give him some sort of relationship score with them. Naturally, I'll start using BRP as soon as it's available here in Sweden.

I could just tell him to jot down "Trollfriend" on his sheet and leave it at that, but I'm curious if there's anything in BRP that I could use for this kind of relationship?

I don't have anything specific in mind for how I want this to work, just looking for ideas.

Depending on your style of game, you could use the Allegiance rules, though they do tend to be more religion- or value-system oriented rather than relationships.

Personally, I'd use the optional "Personality Traits" rules, and give the character a "Trollfriend 50%" type score. You could then use this to augment certain other skills using the Complementary Skills rule (ie to enhance Persuade attempts when talking to Trolls, etc). I've already been thinking of using a "Hate (Lunars)" type trait, so it wouldn't be a big stretch.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Personally, I'd use the optional "Personality Traits" rules, and give the character a "Trollfriend 50%" type score. You could then use this to augment certain other skills using the Complementary Skills rule ...

This does sound like a nice and easy way of doing it. I'll probably give him the opportunity to become a member of a dragon riding knighthood order at the end of next adventure which requires some sort of relationship mechanic as well. I'll probably use Allegiance for that, and there are some Reputation rules as well isn't there?

Sigh! I need the book. Now.

He could also have the Status (Trolls) skill at an appropriate rating, perhaps with "Trolls" modified to reflect the specific group (like "Drath-kurz Clan Trolls") if those were the Trolls he helped and if status with one troll clan doesn't translate to another.

The initial amount would be awarded by the GM, based on the relative level of the assistance. Maybe equal to APP or POW to start with?

The status skill can be used to call in favors, make a positive impression, get some help, settle a diplomatic matter, etc.

Asking for simple favors ("Don't tell anyone you saw me") would be Easy (2x skill), while getting more complex assistance ("I'll need four of you to help me fight the dragon") would be Difficult (1/2 skill).

Dealing with trolls of another clan would be Difficult. Successful use of the Status skill improves with experience.

That's how I'd do it.

Don7t forget Troll Lorse for a skill, either. It covers knoweledge of trolls and thier customs and psychology.

There were rules in the old Trollpak supplement for humans joining troll cults and even being turned into trolls. If you don't have it, I7d recommend looking for a copy of Trollpak.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Don7t forget Troll Lorse for a skill, either. It covers knoweledge of trolls and thier customs and psychology..

I may have missed one or three but I think I have all the Kyger Litor cult write ups. >:-> 2nd and 3rd ed. Thanks for the tip though, I hadn't thought of giving him Troll Lore, and of course he should have it now.