How close is BRP to the original Runequest?

Unclmick

Well I suppose that it is only fitting as the game moves towards a 'highest roll under skill wins' mechanic that criticals become worse than a normal success. >:->

And for the record, it is my personal experience that trollkin are always tougher than it seems they should be. :D

Help kill a Trollkin here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additionally we have dozens of spot rules for this or that nonsense which seldom or never arises in the game but parrying with daggers which occurs in nearly every game regularly is not considered.

Who parries with daggers? They only have 6 AP. :ohwell: (I'm still in the RQ3 world though, it might have changed?)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I suspect there are two things at work:

1. Most people don't think about it;

Sadly this is true. There are plenty of discussion if a weapon do x or x+1 damage but AFAIK this is first discussion here about the parry capabilities of weapons in BRP no?

2. In most games it _won't_ come up that often; you can go a lot of sessions before hitting a situation where you're parrying a poleaxe with a dagger, because its relatively rare the situation where you get attacked with a poleaxe and all you have is the dagger. If anything, the "I'm trying to parry the Giant Maul with my broadsword" situation is more likely, and even that one won't come up all that often.

We have a good share of dagger fighting. Mostly because other weapons break, you fight in bars, easily concealable etc. So it depends on story. Eg. our assassin campaign in a renaissance fantasy environment we had dagger fights every evening.

We have a good share of dagger fighting. Mostly because other weapons break, you fight in bars, easily concealable etc. So it depends on story. Eg. our assassin campaign in a renaissance fantasy environment we had dagger fights every evening.

I can see that being the case there (but at least in traditional RQ I don't think it was common; even when weapons broke, there was usually a shortsword or some other backup weapon available), but when that comes up, how often do you see a broadsword?

That's the issue; the most egregious cases don't come up very often in most games, so people aren't confronted with it often.