First Aid Flurries

Shaira

Hi all,

I wanted to pick everyone's brains on how they usually handle First Aid. I'm trying to play the RAW right now, and came across a fairly comical scene following a very large combat. Basically, everyone had taken damage, and - using the hit location optional rules - generally 2 or 3 wounds in various places. Everyone had First Aid somewhere between 35% and 70%.

Now the First Aid rules say that a given wound can only be First Aided successfully once, but on a Fail you can wait one Full Turn and try again.

In actual play, without undue time pressue, this resulted in everyone more or less queuing up and First Aiding one another until every single wound taken had been successfully first aided by 1D3 points. In some cases this meant characters regaining as many as 9 HP in the First Aid session post-combat.

Whilst following the rules (as far as I can tell), this didn't quite feel right, to the extent that I'm thinking of houseruling that any wound can only be First Aided once, successful or not.

What do you think? Am I just being too stingy with healing?

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Now the First Aid rules say that a given wound can only be First Aided successfully once, but on a Fail you can wait one Full Turn and try again.

Whilst following the rules (as far as I can tell), this didn't quite feel right, to the extent that I'm thinking of houseruling that any wound can only be First Aided once, successful or not.

My apologies for not catching that error in the levels of success.

According to the system notes (p59):

Each application of First Aid applies to a single wound: once that injury has been treated, additional First Aid rolls have no effect.

Treated = an attempt made

...Whilst following the rules (as far as I can tell), this didn't quite feel right, to the extent that I'm thinking of houseruling that any wound can only be First Aided once, successful or not.

What do you think? Am I just being too stingy with healing?

Depends how generous you are being with wounds... :D

Personally, I agree with your houserule and would use it most of my games I suspect.

Cheers,

Nick

Not at all.

What you describe is how I have always dealt with first aid.

I have always played that an unsuccessful first aid still stops bleeding, cleans the wound, etc, but does not restore any actual HP. So it covers trying until you get it right - it just does 'heal' damage if you miss your roll.

Bad things only happen on a fumble.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

My apologies for not catching that error in the levels of success.

According to the system notes (p59): Treated = an attempt made

Excellent! Thanks Jason - that will cut down nicely on the first aid scrum following combats in future!

One for the Wiki, I think!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I have always played that an unsuccessful first aid still stops bleeding, cleans the wound, etc, but does not restore any actual HP.

Ditto. But also I only allow one First Aid (attempt) per person, not per wound. Getting 9hp or whatever back seems a bit much to me! So don't worry that you're stingy.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.