Advanced Combat Questions

pansophy

While I was testing the Advanced Combat rules of Revolution D100, my game group came along some questions:

1) if a character turns and runs away from a melee engagement (ahile in Close Combat), does the enemy get a free attack?

1a) if so, does the Free Attack cost SR? I assume so

2) When choosing an Opening Move, is a character allowed to do 'unrelated actions' without paying 5SR to change 'mode'? Example: a character choses to use a non-combat action to jump onto a table (to get an Bonus for higher ground), and then make a melee attack, does he have to pay 5SR changing from a Non-combat Opening move to Close Combat Opening Move? I do not think so. My understanding is once the first action is fulfilled in context to the Opening Move, all further actions can be unrelated to the initial Opening Move. Or does the Opening Move define what actions are allowed during the whole round?

2a) If an Opening Move defines which actions are allowed during a whole round, which action belongs to which Opening Move?

3) when throwing a grenade, does it cost 5 SR to ready the item first and then an additional 5 SR to throw the grenade?

4) reloading a Short Bow (5 SR to attack) costs half the SR (3) for attacking, because it is a pure ranged weapon - correct?

On 09/10/2017 at 3:39 AM, pansophy said:

While I was testing the Advanced Combat rules of Revolution D100, my game group came along some questions:

1) if a character turns and runs away from a melee engagement (ahile in Close Combat), does the enemy get a free attack?

1a) if so, does the Free Attack cost SR? I assume so

Actually, no. In order to disengage you have to use the Change Distance Combat Effect. Basically, if the enemy is trying to attack you, you need to win an exchange to put enough distance between you and him. There is no "I move freely but you attack me freely" option. You can of course apply the rule of common sense, particularly if the attacker is engaged with someone else, but the rule as it is already covers the most relevant cases.

We have tried to use a "design by exception" approach as much as possible for Advanced Combat, so many options that you can find in a separate combat option or tactics in other d100 games are just the consequence of a Combat Effect or a Stunt in Revolution.

2) When choosing an Opening Move, is a character allowed to do 'unrelated actions' without paying 5SR to change 'mode'? Example: a character choses to use a non-combat action to jump onto a table (to get an Bonus for higher ground), and then make a melee attack, does he have to pay 5SR changing from a Non-combat Opening move to Close Combat Opening Move? I do not think so. My understanding is once the first action is fulfilled in context to the Opening Move, all further actions can be unrelated to the initial Opening Move. Or does the Opening Move define what actions are allowed during the whole round?

2a) If an Opening Move defines which actions are allowed during a whole round, which action belongs to which Opening Move?

Yes, you have to pay to "change mode" even after the initial action requirement has been fulfilled. The only exception I can see, and this is an optional rule that we will add in a sidebar in the upcoming reprint, is the option to automatically switch to melee after a Charge, as discussed in a previous post.

3) when throwing a grenade, does it cost 5 SR to ready the item first and then an additional 5 SR to throw the grenade?

Yes. Throwing a grenade is not a very quick action - but if you hit, it is rather effective.

4) reloading a Short Bow (5 SR to attack) costs half the SR (3) for attacking, because it is a pure ranged weapon - correct?

Yes.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

On 10/10/2017 at 8:11 PM, RosenMcStern said:

Yes, you have to pay to "change mode" even after the initial action requirement has been fulfilled. The only exception I can see, and this is an optional rule that we will add in a sidebar in the upcoming reprint, is the option to automatically switch to melee after a Charge, as discussed in a previous post.

Does changing mode count as a character's action? or is the cost simply added to the action of the new action that is attempted? Example: a character wants to attack somebody, but when it is his SR, no target is in reach or free move range. So he decides to ready his bow and change to Ranged Combat. Will the character pay 8 SR to ready his Short Bow (3 for readying the bow, 5 for switching mode), or will he have to pay 5SR first to switch mode and on his next SR he has to pay 3SR to ready the bow? I assume the latter ...

• 2 weeks later...

Another one for the errata. Yes, there may be longswords that have the slash (auto) effect (excalibur, anduril) but your standard straight sword is, in general, not a dedicated slashing weapon. Its real advantage is flexibility, not specialization. Spears are better at thrusting, curved swords are better at slashing, it excels at nothing, but it can do everything, in truth.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 9 months later...