Runic tattoos or markings

AndrewRead

Do any other Gloranthan peoples use runes to mark their bodies other than Orlanthi?

Would one expect to see a Praxian nomad or a Lunar soldier marked with runes?

What about in other parts of Glorantha?

If this practice is exclusive to Orlanthi, how would runes work for non-Orlanthi? I mean, the upcoming RPG rule set uses runes like Pendragon uses traits, so would I ignore this if I was playing as a Lunar for example?

Fonritians use tattoos or scarification to embed runes into their skin.

Westerners and Dara Happans don't appear to tattoo themselves with runes (or anything else) - it looks like they use jewelry instead (including piercings, at least for Pelorians), and embroidery on textiles. It is possible that use of runes might be restricted by Malkioni caste membership. Kralori might differ between provinces. At least some Hsunchen probably use tattoos like the Orlanthi, and the nomads (Praxians and Pentans) use tattoos, too.

For Kralori and Vormaini, it is possible that they use calligraphy on paper rather than runes on their bodies. Or seal stamps.

Less permanent solutions like paint or henna are possible, too.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, AndrewRead said:

Do any other Gloranthan peoples use runes to mark their bodies other than Orlanthi?

Would one expect to see a Praxian nomad or a Lunar soldier marked with runes?

What about in other parts of Glorantha?

If this practice is exclusive to Orlanthi, how would runes work for non-Orlanthi? I mean, the upcoming RPG rule set uses runes like Pendragon uses traits, so would I ignore this if I was playing as a Lunar for example?

Have a look at the Guide:

page 24 Doraddi - runic scarification

page 28 Praxian - Tatooed cheeks of the Sable priestess

page 32 Lunar - dots & runes

page 44 Fonrit - scarification

page 250 Caladraland - runic tattoos

etc.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/