A problem with knockout attacks?

LivingTriskele

If an opponent has an average of 10 CON, in order to have a 50% chance at knocking him/her out you have to do 10 points of damage (to the head, if hit locations are used), which is more likely to put someone in critical condition, than just knock them out. Am I reading this wrong? Thanks.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I think you might be mixing up Knockout Attacks with Stun / Subdual Attacks.

Knockout Attack (p226) requires a Difficult attack roll, followed by rolled damage (armor protects). If damage exceeds the Major Wound value of the target, it's Knocked Out for 1D10+10CR. Don't roll Hit Locs - the Difficult attack simulates aiming for the head.

Stun / Subdual (p232) has 4 options; the last involves weapons specifically designed to Stun (Stun Guns, etc). With these, you match Weapon Damage vs Target HP, and stun the target for CR equal to damage on success. Armor may or may not protect, depending on weapon used and armor worn - see the Spot Rule for more details. With a Stun Gun (etc), you don't need to hit the target's head.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Hi, thanks for the response. I've been looking at page 172, comparing damage vs. CON on the resistance table. Ah, I see now that the attack is nonlethal. Makes a big difference...

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Hi, thanks for the response. I've been looking at page 172, comparing damage vs. CON on the resistance table. Ah, I see now that the attack is nonlethal. Makes a big difference...

This comes from P51 of RQ III player book.

There is no real damage and the victim recovers from stun with a CON x 1 roll during the bookkeeping phase of any subsequent round.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster