Artillery Question

shosuro91

Do I have to choose a specialization when purchasing Artillery in the same way I do with other skills like Lore or Arts/Crafts? Artillery doesn't have the tag "(Specializations)", however its description reads: "Various specializations exist, depending on the period setting of the game, including cannon, howitzer, mortar and rocket launcher". I'm a bit confused 😅

Edited by shosuro91

In a combat oriented game like Twilight 2000 I would say yes. In a game like Call of Cthulhu where artillery just means you make some noise before dying... I would vote for one skill to cover all, with the possible exception of era based specialization black powder, modern etc. Skill with Civil war era artillery would be of no use launching a wire guided anti-tank missile.

• Haha 1

I would keep it as a general artillery skill, no specialization. If your running in the 1920s, a veteran in the AEF would have learned the French 75mm or 155mm howitzer in they were in an artillery regiment. If they were a Marine that was in the various Banana Wars, a light artillery piece, the 3" naval gun would have been used. So, i think a general artillery skill works fine. Artillery batteries also work as a team to fire the piece and, especially for observing the round and adjustments. If only one person was operating the piece, i at the very least have them roll at disadvantage (maybe double depending on circumstance) and at a very reduced rate of fire.