Shamans and learning spirit magic

oltamy

Is there something I have missed, or can a shaman with a combined CHA of lets say 30 with a fetch learn protection 30 on one day and then learn bladesharp 30 the next (Losing protection, of course)? With spell extension shamanistic ability this would be quite OP.

Why would a shaman ever want to do that (protection 30 or bladesharp 30)? A  shaman is not a warrior...

Their main responsibility is to tend to the spiritual protection and knowledge of their kinsmen and tribe members.
They are the keeper of ritual and spirit magics, and act as enchanters and summoners.
They are often viewed as the leading source of knowledge within their community.

23 minutes ago, oltamy said:

Is there something I have missed, or can a shaman with a combined CHA of lets say 30 with a fetch learn protection 30 on one day and then learn bladesharp 30 the next (Losing protection, of course)? With spell extension shamanistic ability this would be quite OP.

No mechanics are given for how tough a spirit that knows a particular spell would be. I'd imagine a Spell Spirit with Protection 30 is going to be pretty tough. It will have to have at least 30 in whatever stat limits their spell level.

Edited by PhilHibbs

13 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

No mechanics are given for how tough a spirit that knows a particular spell would be. I'd imagine a Spell Spirit with Protection 30 is going to be pretty tough. It will have to have at least 30 in whatever stat limits their spell level.

Fair enough, but what kind of effect on game would this have? It seems that shamans do not need to spirit combat in order to learn spells, or do they? Or would it be difficult to find such a spirit?

2 hours ago, oltamy said:

Fair enough, but what kind of effect on game would this have? It seems that shamans do not need to spirit combat in order to learn spells, or do they? Or would it be difficult to find such a spirit?

There was this guy called Sheng Seleris, who back in the day destroyed the Lunar Empire and raided the Moon itself.

Way back in the day, it was speculated he was exactly that sort of Shaman.

The spirit is probably going to want something. If its a Bladesharp 30 spell spirit, that something is going to be pretty impressive.

• Like 1