Multiple parries/Multiple attacks

StephenMcG

Until I use the multiple parries in an active game I am going to be skeptical about this.  I did not want to pollute the two weapons, multiple parries thread and so thought I would spin off a new one.

Does the multiple parries rule not put us in a strange place with regard to combat, there are pretty strict rules about multiple attacks etc but an increasingly relaxed set of rules about parrying.  Surely the same justification for multiple parries in a round work equally well, with the same declining chance of success, for multiple attacks??  I anticipate this conversation with my group - I would welcome it being rehearsed here first...

🙂

Stephen

1 hour ago, StephenMcG said:

.oes the multiple parries rule not put us in a strange place with regard to combat, there are pretty strict rules about multiple attacks etc but an increasingly relaxed set of rules about parrying.

Generous parry rules allow heroic fights like The Bride vs The Crazy 88. The Over 100 Adjustment rule, however, seems to me to work in the other direction. That's off topic for this thread though, it's already had its own thorough going-over!

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 7/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, StephenMcG said:

Surely the same justification for multiple parries in a round work equally well, with the same declining chance of success, for multiple attacks??

It  works nicely with parries, but the same rule applied to attacks would lead to very long combat rounds I imagine. A melee round would last indefinitely as even though  the attack chance is reduced to zero you'd still have the base 5% chance of attacking success. 

Parries are limited by the number of attacks in a round, If you give potentially infinite attacks its all going to spiral out of hand.

52 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

It  works nicely with parries, but the same rule applied to attacks would lead to very long combat rounds I imagine... Parries are limited by the number of attacks in a round, If you give potentially infinite attacks its all going to spiral out of hand.

I don't think anyone is suggesting extending the combat round past 12 strike ranks.

12 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting extending the combat round past 12 strike ranks.

That’s true, good point -  Although if you follow the parry rules through to the letter they don’t use SR limitations, you can parry on any SR.   Not sure how comfortable that would be to allow attacks on any SR?  

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

On 7/4/2018 at 7:17 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Generous parry rules allow heroic fights like The Bride vs The Crazy 88. The Over 100 Adjustment rule, however, seems to me to work in the other direction. That's off topic for this thread though, it's already had its own thorough going-over!

Personally, I don't play RQ for heroism, I play it for something slightly closer to realism than The Other System. (shrug)

I have no problem with allowing multiple attacks and multiple parries with different mechanics - divide your skill among the attacks with a given weapon, and take an accumulating -20 penalty for each parry with any weapon.

Personally I might rule that you get a second parry at full chance with a different hand, but otherwise it's -20 per regardless. So you could parry twice with your shield at 0 and -20, then parry at full chance with a sword, then the next is at -40 regardless of what you parry with. No attack with either though if you want to do this.

The multiple parry rule has been ported over from Stormbringer. There was a form of multiple attacking in so far as any successful parry could be followed by a riposte, but only for people who were masters of the weapon. This actually potentially fits the game quite well in terms of the 'attack and parry are integrated so have the same percentage' vibe of the new rules.