Curses in CoC

Aldaron

Hmm...just wondering if anyone has used (or can point me to) any resources on running long-term curses in CoC. In our last game, one of my players went out of her way to climb up a statue of Yig and prise 10 sizeable moonstone gems from its forehead. I'm thinking this would be a perfect opportunity to throw something nasty at her that manifests over time (she's already got herpetophobia as a result of her adventures!). 

Since the character already suffers from herpetophobia it could be interesting to introduce a curse which turns her slowly into a snake like creature, beginning with a more and more scaly skin, a tongue which begins to fork, and so on, until she finally becomes a servant creature controlled by Yig.

• Thanks 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

What about the investigator becoming irresistible to reptiles?  They now just love her and want to be with her and follow her and snuggle up to her wherever she goes.  They won't injure her but may threaten anyone who attempts to assist their new favorite darling.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rust said:

Since the character already suffers from herpetophobia it could be interesting to introduce a curse which turns her slowly into a snake like creature, beginning with a more and more scaly skin, a tongue which begins to fork, and so on, until she finally becomes a servant creature controlled by Yig.

Nice. Once thing I had in the back of my mind was that she would start to notice a dry patch of skin. Thinking it to be eczema, she would go to the doctor, who would frown in concern when he examined it, and take some biopsies "to send off for tests". Of course, a couple of scales are beginning to erupt under the skin, as you suggested. 

3 hours ago, seneschal said:

What about the investigator becoming irresistible to reptiles?  They now just love her and want to be with her and follow her and snuggle up to her wherever she goes.  They won't injure her but may threaten anyone who attempts to assist their new favorite darling.

really like this one! Definitely going to run with it. When they're camping, I'll have her wake up with a couple of timber rattlesnakes or a northern copperhead in her sleeping bag. In fact, I'll probably start with a couple of non-venomous snakes just to put her off-kilter, then start following up with the nastier ones. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Perhaps the snake phobia is cured, she finds she can communicate with snakes, an awareness of something distant and colossal drawing closer in her dreams. Secret SAN check every time she tries to use her ability.

Lots of original CoC stories have characters who tamper with mythos artefacts drawn closer to the gods than they want, like The Haunter of The Dark.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricW said:

Perhaps the snake phobia is cured, she finds she can communicate with snakes, an awareness of something distant and colossal drawing closer in her dreams. Secret SAN check every time she tries to use her ability.

You're a wizard, 'arry!

• Haha 2