Star Wars RPG Conversion

RogerCooper

I have been running a Star Wars campaign using the SW RPG. The game system proved overly clumsy, so I decided to switch systems. I considered Mutants & Masterminds (True 20), but the system is too oriented towards superheros when I wanted a grittier and more realistic feel. So BRP seemed the logical choice.

What are your thoughts concerning conversions from the SW RPG and D20 based games in general? Here my ideas.

1. Hit points and damage points are roughly comparable between the systems.

2. Skill levels should be roughly 25% + 5% per level.

3. Force powers should be handled as psychic powers. The list would need to be reworked extensively, as Telekinesis and weapon-focus powers dominate with the force.

4. Armor-based defense bonuses such be turned into armor points on 1:1 basis.

5. Light-sabers should be able to ignore armor, but doing so should be considered a force power.

1. Hit points and damage points are roughly comparable between the systems.

The system I use is Hit Points equals CON+SIZ for the heroes and big bad adversaries, such as Darth Vader. For all the rest, such as Stormtroopers and the like, halve as usual. You can either use the damage of weapons from D20, or use the current list in the BRP book.

2. Skill levels should be roughly 25% + 5% per level.

Don't bother. It's best to start from scratch using BRP.

3. Force powers should be handled as psychic powers. The list would need to be reworked extensively, as Telekinesis and weapon-focus powers dominate with the force.

Not necessarily. You can either use the existing powers in the BRP book, or use the following:

Allow Jedi characters to augment their skills with the Force. So by spending a Force point, your Persuade skill becomes Force Persuade or your Jump skill became Force Leap, and so on; then you made a roll against the skill in question. If you succeed the power took affect. To boost your chance of succeeding, a player could add more Force points, gaining an additional 10 percentiles per Force point. A character's Force points were equal to their POW score, along with the range and duration for Force Powers.

4. Armor-based defense bonuses such be turned into armor points on 1:1 basis.

Again, use the armour given in the BRP book.

5. Light-sabers should be able to ignore armor, but doing so should be considered a force power.

No, I disagree. Lightsabres can cut through anything, except Cortosis. It should not be a force power.

For more help with your conversion, consult this thread: CLICK

Nathan Baron

Not necessarily. You can either use the existing powers in the BRP book, or use the following:

Allow Jedi characters to augment their skills with the Force. So by spending a Force point, your Persuade skill becomes Force Persuade or your Jump skill became Force Leap, and so on; then you made a roll against the skill in question. If you succeed the power took affect. To boost your chance of succeeding, a player could add more Force points, gaining an additional 10 percentiles per Force point. A character's Force points were equal to their POW score, along with the range and duration for Force Powers.

CLICK

Such a system might work for an all Jedi group, but with a mixed group, it will just leave the non-Jedi with nothing to do. I aiming for the flashier force powers of KOTOR and the SW RPG.

I also want to make the fancier uses of Light Sabres force powers, so non-force users don't use them as well. I don't think normals should be able to deflect energy bolts.

Such a system might work for an all Jedi group, but with a mixed group, it will just leave the non-Jedi with nothing to do. I aiming for the flashier force powers of KOTOR and the SW RPG.

Leave a non Jedi nothing to do? Roger, I think you've missed the point. That is the rule for Force Powers, for Force sensitive characters only. Another player of mine played a straight up soldier, no force training, and simply maxed out on combat related skills. In fact, he faired better than the Jedi! If you want to simulate the feel of KOTOR, then you're best of using the Saga Edition rules.

What's more, for every 25 percentiles a Force user has in their Use The Force ability, which is based on POW x5, a character may pick a Force Technique. The only way a Force user can increase their Use The Force ability is to gain more POW. I used the rule from Stormbringer 5th edition, allowing players to increase the POW without any limits. A Force Technique would include abilities such as Telekinesis or Force Lightning. These were worked out in a similar fashion to Sorcery spells, where the player makes a POW x 5 roll and spends power points.

I also want to make the fancier uses of Light Sabres force powers, so non-force users don't use them as well. I don't think normals should be able to deflect energy bolts.

I agree. That's why you argument your Lightsabre skill with the force to deflect blaster bolts. On a success, a player simply blocks it. On a special, the player may deflects it back towards an opponent, which counts as a standard attack. On a critical that was upgraded to a special. Easy.

Nathan Baron

I'm assuming that Pow determines connection to the Force.

Something to take a look at is the optional rule from Gods of Law on POW use. It was originally designed to give non spellcasters some use of POW. The short of it is that a character can spend a point of POW to bump up their roll to a higher success rate. This POW regenerates like MP.

Rename POW to Force and MP/PP to Force Points. Someone who's not trained in the force can tap into their unconscious connection and spend Force to bump up their roll. This drops their Force total down, leaving them more vulnerable to someone trained in the Force. A jedi maintains his or her total Force but uses Force Points (MP/PP) for their powers.

Just an idea.

(By the way, yesterday I was sick as a dog. I fell in and out of 'A New Hope' on tv. Even though it's the one with the crappy cgi inserted in it, I was struck by how much better it was than the new films.)

70/420

I'm assuming that Pow determines connection to the Force.

Correct. You require a high POW, 16 or better, to use the Force.

Something to take a look at is the optional rule from Gods of Law on POW use. It was originally designed to give non spellcasters some use of POW. The short of it is that a character can spend a point of POW to bump up their roll to a higher success rate. This POW regenerates like MP.

Rename POW to Force and MP/PP to Force Points. Someone who's not trained in the force can tap into their unconscious connection and spend Force to bump up their roll. This drops their Force total down, leaving them more vulnerable to someone trained in the Force. A jedi maintains his or her total Force but uses Force Points (MP/PP) for their powers.

Just an idea.

That's a pretty good idea! I like it. It does tie in with those people like Han Solo, who believe in luck. What if this "luck" is the Force at work? Could explain why people say in the films that they have a "bad feeling" about something, just before it happens.

Nathan Baron

Thanks. I like your force ideas as well.

I would also consider taking the mook rules from Gods of Law for a Star Wars game. They really speed up combat but present a level of danger for PCs while letting them shine. It's a nice way of representing the various chase scenes and blaster fights present throughout the movies.

Dog fights can be emulated fast and loose using the ship rules. Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

70/420