Esvulari Tribes, St Aeol Sigils

10baseT

I was reading thru my copy of Tradetalk 12 which is a special on Heortland. In there there's an article on 'The Esvulari: Children of St Aeol' by Mark Galeotti and Greg Stafford with a nod to Joerg. One of the many items that piqued my interest were the sigils they used for Worlath (Orlanth), St Ehilm (i think that's Yelmalio), etc. They are basically Orlanth's rune, Yelmalio's rune, etc, in a triangle. The cover picture for the article shows the Fire/Sky rune in a triangle. Then in the article body it mentions Orlanth's rune in a triangle... these appear to be the saints runes they use. Does anyone know if this is how it is now? (Great article by the way.)

Then do the Esvulari have tribes or do they mainly or more so associate with cities? I think the Bandori are an Esvualri tribe, right?

Oh, and was there a Heroquest book that focused on the Esvulari? At the end of the article in mentions a forthcoming HQ book that reflects Esvulari views. (i couldnt find one).

(And thank you to all that have helped enlighten me in this area of Glorantha. My RQG campaign will be centered here and i have just about all i need because of you, thank you, Gil)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 10baseT said:

I was reading thru my copy of Tradetalk 12 which is a special on Heortland. In there there's an article on 'The Esvulari: Children of St Aeol' by Mark Galeotti and Greg Stafford with a nod to Joerg. One of the many items that piqued my interest were the sigils they used for Worlath (Orlanth), St Ehilm (i think that's Yelmalio), etc.

St. Ehilm's at Jansholm originally was a brainchild of mine, and was meant to be the Aeolian version of Elmal.

They are basically Orlanth's rune, Yelmalio's rune, etc, in a triangle.

Those were more or less self-generating. I used Storm in Law e.g. for the temple design.

The cover picture for the article shows the Fire/Sky rune in a triangle. Then in the article body it mentions Orlanth's rune in a triangle... these appear to be the saints runes they use. Does anyone know if this is how it is now? (Great article by the way.)

For symbolism, sure, use them.

Saints are no more, and deities aren't Ascended Masters, but rather Srvuali (devolved aspects of Runes) receiving worship by the ignorant, or a share of the Invisible God worship in Henotheist circles (triangles?). None of the False Gods in the old Prosopaedia were Erasanchula (Celestial Court Rune deities), but second generation ones, the heirs to the original runes.

HQ1 suffers from the "church"ness of the Malkioni. There was already a fair amount of back-paddeling (-pedaling?) as far as high medieval chivalry was concerned, but then that had been in the air since at least 1995. But heck, we still had chainmail in that picture.

Then do the Esvulari have tribes or do they mainly or more so associate with cities? I think the Bandori are an Esvualri tribe, right?

The Esvulari do appear to have tribes, with the Bandori (who appear to have managed to remain extra-territorial from Rikard's Malkonwal) as one example.

These tribes have standard Orlanthi components - if 50% of the Esvulari are urban, the tribes down there need ordinary fisherfolk and farmers/herders to aid in feeding the city. These Orlanthi possibly have minor tribes like triaties inside the greater tribes, and while they might get a seat on the ring, they are unlikely to ever head the tribe.

Oh, and was there a Heroquest book that focused on the Esvulari? At the end of the article in mentions a forthcoming HQ book that reflects Esvulari views. (i couldnt find one).

None was ever published, although I would guess that there is a manuscript in at least some state of completion that was prepared by the Unspoken Word crew before they lost their license.

Within the framework of HQ1, Mark's approach was working just fine for me. Outside of those framing conditions (like strict non-overlapping Three Worlds model and use of "church" and "liturgy" and "blessing" in describing Malkioni), things need to be re-interpreted, just like various publications about them slowly approached what went on down south in Heortland, and inside the cities.

The strict endogamy of the Aeolians is something I still have to come to terms with, but at least everybody is a warrior, whether commoner, noble or possibly even zzaburi (those who don't make the cut for sorcery?).

(And thank you to all that have helped enlighten me in this area of Glorantha. My RQG campaign will be centered here and i have just about all i need because of you, thank you, Gil)

Have fun down there, and make it fun for your players.
I keep learning about these folk, and writing about them was my debut in producing Gloranthan roleplaying stuff.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis