Chargen Question for Spirit and Wizard magic

Nevermet

Hi.

I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

I just wanted to double check my understanding of chargen in HQ2 as it exists after Pavis: Gateway to Adventure.

As I understand things...

• All PCs start with runes, regardless of their culture or magic.
  • PCs who practice rune magic may become an initiate of a deity, assuming their rating in the relevant rune is high enough.
  • PCs who want to start using spirit magic don't need the Spirit Rune, though it'd probably a good idea.  Instead, they are able to join a spirit society if their Tradition rating is 1w or higher, and they get that through their cultural keyword
  • PCs who want to start using wizard magic don't need the Law Rune, though that's a path to spells if they're also an initiate of Lankhor Mhy.  Instead, adepts start with a grimoire equal to their cultural keyword, and 4 spells.
    • Assume for this one the PC is from a western culture.

...Is that accurate?

Thanks!

I would expect sorcery  to come from a profession keyword rather rather than a culture one, though that line may be a bit murky among stricter Malkioni. It's really pretty flexible though. Look at how Magatheus has grimoires hung from both his Law rune and his Moon rune. The latter would be subject to lunar cycles, while the former would not, and he could use his profession to augment either one.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:32 AM, JonL said:

I would expect sorcery  to come from a profession keyword rather rather than a culture one, though that line may be a bit murky among stricter Malkioni.

Its certainly possible as I covered it with Markor the strong

http://www.glorantha.com/docs/building-makor-the-strong-for-pavis-gateway-to-adventure/

I would structure western sorcery the same way.

It's really pretty flexible though. Look at how Magatheus has grimoires hung from both his Law rune and his Moon rune. The latter would be subject to lunar cycles, while the former would not, and he could use his profession to augment either one.

I did that exactly to show that, however I’d always try not to hang sorcery off the law rune and hang it elsewhere to get the law rune as an augment. With magatheus, he can use his law rune to augment his lunar grimoire, but not the other way round (easily), but as you say you can use your profession if relevant.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/