Convert BRP MOV to SR MOV

Harshax

I'm at work and don't have my books with me, so I can't check to see what the BRP movement rates are listed at right now, but in RQIII the MOV for a human is 3M/SR, for an elf or broo it's 4M/SR, and 2M/SR for a dwarf or halfling. A mount is anywhere from 10M/SR (camel, pony) to 12M/SR (horse) as I recall.

When converting between SRs and rounds, I typically use a factor of 10, because there are 10 SR in a round. So a human would move 30M/RND etc. Now, according to the strict rules, a person or thing cannot begin running until their DEX SR in a round and this would technically reduce their total movement per round to something like 21M/RND. I only apply this rule to the first round, though.

Hope that helps. If not I can check later today when I get home and actually look at the books.

T.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I don't have RQ3 handy, but I was wondering what guidelines I should use to translate a creatures total MOV to MOV per SR. Anyone?

Thanks.

In BRP a creature can move between MOV*1 m and MOV*5 m during a round.

So the conversion guideline is (MOV*3 /10) m per SR . It is explained in the optional rules about SR.

It happens that a human has a MOV of 10 or 3 m/SR (the same value as in RQIII ).

Jean

Of course! My memory was confused about the length of RQ3 round. Having just got ahold of my book, I realize I was confusing a 12 Second Round with 12 Strike Ranks; when in reality there has always only been 10 Strike Ranks per round.

Silly me.

Thanks folks.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Of course! My memory was confused about the length of RQ3 round. Having just got ahold of my book, I realize I was confusing a 12 Second Round with 12 Strike Ranks; when in reality there has always only been 10 Strike Ranks per round.

Except in RQ2 which had 12 SR rounds, with 1SR=1Second (approximately).

RQ3 had 10 SR rounds and tried to break the 1sec=1SR but then introduced movement by SR (a good idea in my opinion) that approximated SRs as time.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Except in RQ2 which had 12 SR rounds, with 1SR=1Second (approximately).

As far as I know--I could check easily enough but I'm lazy) RQ1 also had 12 SR rounds that were approximately 12 seconds long.

RQ3 had 10 SR rounds and tried to break the 1sec=1SR but then introduced movement by SR (a good idea in my opinion) that approximated SRs as time.

The problem with movement-per-strikerank was that as soon as you had any significant number of NPCs, keeping track of how far each of them had moved each round (which, after all, delayed other actions) became tantamount to impossible.

Ah RQ2! I completely forgot about that. Although, to be fair, I got into RQ2 months before RQ3, and immediately switched after finding Avalon Hill's version to be superior in a number of ways.

I too have also had issue with calculating SR when combat is not static (this initial maneuvering about and squaring off). I just wanted to see how the SR system in BRP compared.

It seems BRP drops the 3 SR between multiple actions in the same round. Am I reading this right? (See page 201)

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Ah RQ2! I completely forgot about that. Although, to be fair, I got into RQ2 months before RQ3, and immediately switched after finding Avalon Hill's version to be superior in a number of ways.

I too have also had issue with calculating SR when combat is not static (this initial maneuvering about and squaring off). I just wanted to see how the SR system in BRP compared.

It seems BRP drops the 3 SR between multiple actions in the same round. Am I reading this right? (See page 201)

I think that the description in page 201 is about multiple attacks.

In both RQIII and BRP, the SR system is used to do 2 things

-(1) to know who has the initiative in hand to hand combat

-(2) to synchronize events (like movement, missile fire, power activation)

It happens that melee is not synchronized with the other activities.

It is visible in RQIII because there was a spot rule on combining a movement and a strike with a melee weapon.

That is the attacker moves near his target, strikes and continues his movement.

A solution would be to have an initiative number (a la MRQ pirates), a duration and a beginning for a melee attack, and spot rules for charges and aimed attacks.

Cheers

Jean