Steve Jackson's Pocket Box Games on Kickstarter

MOB

Our friends at Steve Jackson Games are bringing back their Pocket Box titles from the 80's - what an awesome idea! The Kickstarter funded quickly with seven SJ games on offer (including Illuminati, Ogre, and Car Wars), and more titles coming in Stretch Goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/pocket-box-games-of-the-eighties/description

That got us thinking - Chaosium produced some eclectic and interesting board games back in the day that would work well in a format like this. Which ones would you like to see a reprise of, if we could make that happen?

I'd like to see a list, ideally with cover images.

I may be a fan of Chaosium, but that doesn't mean I have their 30/40 year-old back catalogue of minor titles memorized!

Others' Memories May Vary

C'es ne pas un .sig

Such games were my gateway to roleplaying — Melee, Wizard, Sticks and Stones, Warpwar, Rivets, and others.  They were inexpensive, highly portable, had evocative cover art and (mostly) simple rules.  A kid could save his allowance or lawn mowing money, pick up a game or three, slip them in a folder or backpack and play with friends anywhere.

I think that’s something lost in today’s market of multi-volume full color hardback premium component gaming, even with the reintroduction of Jackson’s classics.  The games that got me playing cost about $6-7 dollars, affordable and accessible.  When I graduated to actual RPGs the Traveller boxed set was $12.  Later, Champions 3rd edition was about $25, a stretch at the time but I was able to get it.  Today a kid would have to invest $150 to play D&D 5th or $100 to play Cthulu 7th (because as owner of the rules of course he’s going to be the GM).  Even as a working adult I can’t afford those kind of prices.  I’ve read all sorts of discussions about the relative value of money but the bottom line is my teenage self could afford to become a gamer.  If I was starting out today I couldn’t do it.