Heortland: Tribes, Clans and Maps?

TerryTee

Hi.

Are there any good sources for tribes and clans in Heortland in the third age? And what about good, detailed maps for same? I've seen the Volsaxiland map, but it only goes as far south as the Foot print.

I've set my campaign in Heortland, and I've started using material from Coming Storm, Eleven lights and the Colymayer campaign. There is so much good stuff in there, but I sort of need to 'port it' to Heortland since that's where my characters are. (Yes, I can use the material directly 'as is', but I'd rather leave the Sartar tribes, clans and lands where they are in case we end up going there later).

Thanks,
-Terry

• Like 1

Speaking as someone whose campaign was set just west of Backford, in Heortland you are left on your own. There is hardly any fan material to use, and even less official material beyond what you find in the Guide. I haven't seen any info on Volsaxi clans, a few mentions of Curtali, Bacofi and Sylangi clans in fan material, and nothing south of the Solthi River. My own invention, the Jaranings of the peninsula between the Solthi and Syphon estuaries, are highly uncanonical in detail, due to the age of that material.

Out of Volsaxar, you will have first to decide whether your clan has a Hendriki tradition or whether it stems from one of the clans that used to be subject to the Foreigner Laws of early Second Age King Aventus, mentioned in History of the Heortling Peoples - which is a necessary resource to scrape together at least a little detail for your clan history.

The verdict is still open whether clan and tribal size in Kethaelan Heortland is as small as it is in Sartar, or whether somewhat larger organisational units dominate the game. The four (over-) tribes of Heortland - Volsaxar, Jondalar, Gardufar and Esvular - would be called kingdoms in their own right in most other Orlanthi regions.

Ancestor influence means that clans will maintain traditions from before the EWF, which may set them apart from the Hendriki (whose traditions dominate the clans and tribes of Sartar). If you have coastal clans, the tribe may actually be a mix of agricultural Orlanthi and quite Orlanthized Pelaskite clans with little dry land activities.

Other than the descendants of the Hendriki, the clans of Heortland are quite used to paying tribute to rather distant kings and godkings, from the Kitori "equal exchange" which later became confused with Arkat's Command to the taxes collected by Belintar's governors, Rikard's nobles, or Fazzur's Tarshite administrators, and probably some tithing to the Ludoch of the Mirrorsea as well.

Quite a bit of the Eleven Lights and the Colymar campaign is difficult to rip out of Sartar. On the plus side, you get to deal with Wolf Pirates, Scorpionfolk and other Chaos from the Footprint, and with funky leftovers from Belintar's three centuries of reign.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

15 hours ago, Joerg said:

Speaking as someone whose campaign was set just west of Backford, in Heortland you are left on your own.

Thanks for your reply, Joerg.

My players belong to Garduraf and Hurlant. The tula is located just south of the most eastern boundary of the Footprint. So far, my campaign has been 'typical fantasy adventuring', doing stuff 'somewhere else'. I've been glossing over details related to Tribe, Clan, who's on the Ring, who the neighbors are etc, but now I'm bringing the party members a bit closer to the homeland, and these things will matter more.

My plan is basically to state that Sartar is already conquered, and I will use published Sartar material as a base for when the Lunars start their push into Heortland. The next session will be the Feast of Beasts, and Ernalsulva will be from Sartar (so a bit further away) but Killer Branduan will be from a neighboring Heortland clan.

-Terry

• Like 1

Will you still use the Upland Marsh setting for the next episode, or are you going to translate that to the Footprint?

Replacing King Blackmor with a local leader won't be easy, either.

Getting into the Woodpecker campaign might be easiest by marrying off a sister or two of the characters into the Orlmarth clan, and have the Feast occur when they are guesting with the in-laws, whether on occasion of the wedding, or on occasion of becoming uncles, or because one of the husbands has been selected to woo Ernalsulva, and your clan is rightfully concerned about the validity of the previous marriage. One or two replacement or additional characters could be Orlmarth, then. They might have to spend a temporary exile as weaponthanes of the Orlmarth.

Given the previous experience of your characters, they'll be more likely to come as muscle rather than as diplomats. But maybe one of them has just become head of his family and has to learn to deal with stuff like that.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I’ve been GMing a bit hand to mouth the last few sessions, since my latest scenario ended (where the party uncovered a Lunar scheme to freeze Heortland with an eternal winter before marching in). So I have actually not had time to read the scenarios in Kingdom of Heroes, and thus I didn’t even know they are going to the Upland marsh 😉 They’ve already had some experience with the footprint, so I may consider setting it in the Bottomland marsh or maybe at the southern end of Heortland.

I’ve made the Clan a very traditional Orlanthi/Satar type of clan, positioned as I said at the eastern corner of the footprint. I’m afraid I don’t quite catch the significance of the split with king Aventus… Geographically out Clan belongs to Gardufar, but I’m not sure of how they are different to Jondalar, or how a split between Hendriki tradions and Aventus traditions affects this. I’m looking at both the Guide and the History of the Heortling people, and may become wiser…

4 hours ago, TerryTee said:

I’ve made the Clan a very traditional Orlanthi/Satar type of clan, positioned as I said at the eastern corner of the footprint. I’m afraid I don’t quite catch the significance of the split with king Aventus… Geographically out Clan belongs to Gardufar, but I’m not sure of how they are different to Jondalar, or how a split between Hendriki tradions and Aventus traditions affects this. I’m looking at both the Guide and the History of the Heortling people, and may become wiser…

There are likely a fair number of Bullmen in the clan, I'd think. There was some strife between the old Holy Country Governor and the Bullmen back in the day, and this made things a lot worse for people around the Print, so expect people to spit when they hear Belintar's name...