Creatures---The Hydra

MurfinMS

Hi gang,

Wel, my still-slowly-coming-together Bestiary (originally ased on the RQ3 Creature book) is still slowly plodding along, with an ever-expanding line-up of creatures either cadged from other sources, stuff cadged and modified by me, and stuff made up off the top of my head...

So like I said, based on the RQ3 Creature book, thedocument has, not too surprisingly, all the crteatures from that publication in alphabetical order (wwith a few noteablke exceptions which I never liked to begin with).

Anyhow, I'm fine-tuning right at the G-H section, and I thought I'd give the Hydra the once over.

RQ3 (my prefered version) stats for the hydra ca be found in The Glorantha Bestiary (the green ppbk with the morokanth on the cover). Looking at them, I felt the thing might be a bit small, so I looked up a big ass real world snake to get an idea just how big a big serpent really is, and found some interesting stuff on the python.

Figuring the hydra was say, half again as big as a python (not counting the extra heads) I raised the stats a bit, and added some extra weight to simulate the extra heads.

One thing I had run across for the hydra, as mentioned in several orher non-BRPish game bmaterial was the fact that the creature's multiple heads, bobbing and weaving, could be positively hypnotic.

Now the RQ version of the hydra didn't have this feature, but I *did* run across stats for a Serpwnt Gaurdian in the Drastioc Prax book for RQ3, which, while not having multiple heads like the hydra, *d8d* in fcat have a hypnotic movement to its head that enemies might find distracting.

So I made my version of the hydra a bit bigger than standard, grafted the hypnotic movement mechanics onto its write-up, and fiddled with things a bit to wind up with the following.

The original hydra had both a poisoned bite and acid, which I felt was over the top, but I decided to include the poison just because it is a deadly giant snakething.

Hope you find it of use/interest.

Bst.

-Ken-

Hydra

Hydras are enormous, reptilian monsters; gigantic, many-headed serpents that range from 10--20m in length, .3-.6m diameter, and reaching weights in excess of 4,000kg. Each hydra has 2D6 heads; one primary and the remainder ancillary.

The hydra’s many heads can weave and dance about in a pattern that many people find hypnotic.

Spells such as Fear, Madness, Demoralize and the like will only affect one of the creature’s heads at a time.

Should a head be severed, two new heads sprout from the fresh stump after 1D6 rounds, like some hellacious weed. This regeneration can be prevented if the fresh stump is cauterized. Being extremely difficult to kill, hydras are rumored to be immortal.

Hydras inhabit jungles, remote swamps, crumbling ruins and other desolate places across the Mediterranean and Asia.

Hydra

Characteristics Average

STR 2D6+42 49 Move 3/ 2 swim

CON 3D6+24 34-35 Hit Points 45

SIZ 2D6+48 55 Fatigue 90

INT 3 3

POW 3D6+9 19-20

DEX 2D6+12 19

Notes: The creature’s large size gives foes +17% to their chances to hit.

Hit Location (D20) Points

Tail 01-07 10/ 15

Body 08-13 10/ 27

Secondary Heads 14-19 10/varies

Primary Head 20 10/ 27

Notes: The hydra’s heads all appear identical, and so, are indistinguishable from one another.

The Secondary Heads Hit Location should be divided as evenly as possible among the creature’s heads, with each having HP equal to Total HP divided by the number of heads.

Hydras are not incapacitated by shock when a Secondary Head takes damage equal to or exceeding Location Hit Points. Even the removal of a few or even all Secondary Heads does not incapacitate a hydra.

All damage that exceeds the base HP of a hydra’s Secondary Head is not counted against its Total Hit Points.

Weapon SR Attack% Damage

Bite 5 40+12 1D8 + 5D6 + poison

Constriction 2 50+12 5D6

Hypnotis 1 auto hypnotized

Notes: The hydra attempts to bite with all heads simultaneously, and can lunge at any targets within 3m; thus allowing the creature to attack multiple opponents if close enougH. The bite injects pison with a POT equal to ½ the hydra’s CON.

If the constriction attack hits, the victim is wrapped by the serpent’s coils. Each round of constriction does listed damage to the victim’s Total HP. Armor protects against this damage. If the victim’s chest is constricted, he must resist suffocation.

A victim can free himself from the creature’s coils by overcoming the serpent’s STR with his own. But he may not attack while attempting this.

The hydra’s heads constantly bob and weave; moving in a pattern which may hypnotize opponents. Anyone seeing this movement must attempt to roll INT x3 or less, or stand, fascinated by the creature’s movements. Success indicates the victim has stopped watching and focuses instead on the danger. Individual hypnotized by the hydra’s weaving remain in this state until the creature either leaves the victim’s field of view, or stops moving.

Skills: Hide 100-46, Sneak 100-46. Search 50+8, Scan 50+8.

Armor: 10-point tough scales.

Nice. A much tougher beastie than the Lesser Hydra from the Gloranthan Bestiary. I especially like the hypnotic ability.

I'm curious about why you decided to have a primary head. Was this to allow characters to defeat a Hydra which totally outclasses them with a lucky shot to the primary head?

Like the published one, yours seems to be serpent based, not lizard based, and thus I presume doesn't have legs. Is that correct? I actually prefer the serpent style over the lizard style.

When will it make it into the wiki?

Nice. A much tougher beastie than the Lesser Hydra from the Gloranthan Bestiary. I especially like the hypnotic ability.

I'm curious about why you decided to have a primary head. Was this to allow characters to defeat a Hydra which totally outclasses them with a lucky shot to the primary head?

Well, I don't know as I'd use the word *lucky* with an encounter with this thing, but I remember that one of the thing's head was supposed to be Immortal. Now me, I don't mind a really tough creature, but *Immortal*? No way. So I decided to make one head decidedly tougher (ie: Primary) with much more HP. Take it off and the points come right off the grotesque's Total HP, which can be quite telling. Lop off any of the Secondary heads---essentially window dressing---and nothing much happens.

Like the published one, yours seems to be serpent based, not lizard based, and thus I presume doesn't have legs. Is that correct? I actually prefer the serpent style over the lizard style.

I'd read somewhere that the hydra was supposed to have a more dog-like (>) body, which I assumed was reptillian, like a big croc or Iguanadon or something, rather than the actual dog's body, but with this classical stuff, who can really be sure.? Maybe a consultation with the Oracle of Delphi (which I'd read has been proposed to be a s*really* strong gas leak) could clear things up :)

And the thing is supposed to have *100* heads.

I don't know if classical sources have a version as a snake (maybe I;m thinking I saw one of trhose vase paintings..), but after many, *many* viewings of the old Harryhausen classic, *Jason and the Argonauts*, a

snake-like just seems *right*, if you know what I mean...."Well, *of course* its a big snake!" :)

Maybe I'll attempt a *proper* Hydra :)

Best,

-Ken-

Your hydra is very nice indeed. Can't wait to see other monsters in your bestiary.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

Well, I don't know as I'd use the word *lucky* with an encounter with this thing, but I remember that one of the thing's head was supposed to be Immortal. Now me, I don't mind a really tough creature, but *Immortal*? No way. So I decided to make one head decidedly tougher (ie: Primary) with much more HP. Take it off and the points come right off the grotesque's Total HP, which can be quite telling. Lop off any of the Secondary heads---essentially window dressing---and nothing much happens.

Your memory serves you well - one head was supposed to be "immortal".

However, depending on the myth read and the translation, it either meant

that the "central" head could not be touched until the "normal" eight (most

sources claim the Lernean hydra had nine heads) were dispatched and

cauterized (in some versions, Heracles lops off the "immortal" head using his

bronze sword and expending no extra effort), or it had to be buried under a

rock. So, your philosophy seems appropriate. Maybe give the central head

some extra protection (the result of the other eight heads being in the way),

or make it impervious until the secondary heads are either completely dispatched,

or half of them have been.

I'd read somewhere that the hydra was supposed to have a more dog-like (>) body, which I assumed was reptillian, like a big croc or Iguanadon or something, rather than the actual dog's body, but with this classical stuff, who can really be sure.? Maybe a consultation with the Oracle of Delphi (which I'd read has been proposed to be a s*really* strong gas leak) could clear things up :)

And the thing is supposed to have *100* heads.

I don't know if classical sources have a version as a snake (maybe I;m thinking I saw one of trhose vase paintings..), but after many, *many* viewings of the old Harryhausen classic, *Jason and the Argonauts*, a

snake-like just seems *right*, if you know what I mean...."Well, *of course* its a big snake!" :)

Maybe I'll attempt a *proper* Hydra :)

Best,

-Ken-

Again, the original stories vary, as do the translations. Most sources claim

nine heads (in some versons, its "father", Typhon, had 100 heads), some claim five, some claim

50, and some claim 100. Again, nine is the most common number. As far as

the body, again the sources vary - either it is a "serpent" in the modern

sense - a giant multi-headed water snake, or it is a "serpent" in the classic

sense (I believe "drakon" was used in at least one version). Size is also another

issue to debate on - some claim it is gigantic, others show the central body

as smaller than Heracles himself. Finally, it also had a "stench" attack - its

odor was lethal as well.

-V

Don't get me wrong, I think your write up is much better than the one in the Gloranthan Bestiary and am already making plans for using it -I have the perfect place to put one (next time the characters venture into the immense swamp that forms one border of the campaign area to hunt for the prized black pearls they will find something capable of taking on the bunyips and the frog people who live on the behemoths!)

Well, I don't know as I'd use the word *lucky* with an encounter with this thing, ...

The reason I wrote "lucky shot" is that it seems to me that while the Primary Head is tougher than the others, it is the only one which can be used to defeat the Hydra.

A Hydra with a dozen heads could be taken out quickly if a sufficiently powerful strike causes lots of damage to the Primary Head. Instead of being an immortal head (I agree, not a good idea) it seems to have become an Achilles Heel!

A couple more questions.

What happens if a head is incapacitated but not severed? Does that stop the head from acting but not allow two more to grow? In this case, would smacking it around with a mace, or shooting it with arrows be a better option that slicing it with a sword or axe? Perhaps Hydras (or just their heads should have a Hit Point regeneration ability?)

If the Primary Head is severed, does the Hydra die, or do two heads grow back (obviously only one would be the new Primary Head)?

Is there a limit (12?) to the maximum number of heads a Hydra can have if the characters just keep lopping them off?

Does a "virgin" (for want of a better word) Hydra start with 2D6 heads, or just one and then obtain more as that one and subsequent ones are severed?

I know that you probably wrote up the Hydra to fit into your campaign and thus what I'm about to suggest may not work for you, but I'd like to offer these suggested changes:

Hydras have 2D6-1 (1-11) heads.

A young Hydra starts with one head. If that one is severed then two grow back in its place (to a maximum of 11 heads).

Hydras regenerate (how much per round I'll leave up to you). The regeneration (and duplication) of a severed head can be prevented by cauterising the stump.

I’m not sure about the Primary head concept. I wrote a bit of stuff about it, but won’t post it yet because I still need to think some more. This also ties in to how you actually kill this beast, and I’m still pondering over the nuances of that too.

I hope I’m not coming across as being too critical. If I didn’t like your write-up, I wouldn’t have put so much thought into it. I just think it can do with a bit of tweaking.

Your hydra is very nice indeed. Can't wait to see other monsters in your bestiary.

Gee, thanks :)

I thibk all of the beasties I've posted from my Bestiary have wound up moved over to the wiki.

Esxcept for the Elementals, of course...

Some years back I'd posted my take on Elementals to the old RQ Rules list. Good golly, but there were a *lot* of different types---not as many as D&D mind you, but still several more than RQ had. I've since paired down my Elementals to just cover my versions of the 4 elements---Earth, Air, Fire, Water. Nevermind that darkness stuff. Too Gloranthan for my tastes,

I believe Nick has a copy of the thing stashed somewhere online.

Best,

-Ken-

Your memory serves you well - one head was supposed to be "immortal".

However, depending on the myth read and the translation, it either meant

that the "central" head could not be touched until the "normal" eight (most

sources claim the Lernean hydra had nine heads) were dispatched and

cauterized (in some versions, Heracles lops off the "immortal" head using his

bronze sword and expending no extra effort), or it had to be buried under a

rock. So, your philosophy seems appropriate. Maybe give the central head

some extra protection (the result of the other eight heads being in the way),

or make it impervious until the secondary heads are either completely dispatched,

or half of them have been.

Well, the Immortal/ Central/ Primary head is, bookeeping-wise, decidedly different from the others, but identical in appearance to all the other heads, so I don't see where aiming at the main head would really help, as, aside from some sort of insider information (ie: a tip from an interested Deity)m theres no way to determine what may or may not turn out to be an important head.

If you *were* aiming ar a particular headm I digure thew Aimed Blow rules would work aka RQ---half attack chance, Success hits the desired location. If you wanted to make it more difficult by having the other heads getting in the way, I suppose you could always subtract an addn'l 10 or 20% off the attack roll. If combined with the Aimed Blow rules, you're looking at 1/2 normal, (then* an addn'l -10& or so---Guess it could be done, but then you *still* have any idea whether a particular head is any more important than any other :)

Again, the original stories vary, as do the translations. Most sources claim

nine heads (in some versons, its "father", Typhon, had 100 heads), some claim five, some claim

50, and some claim 100. Again, nine is the most common number. As far as

the body, again the sources vary - either it is a "serpent" in the modern

sense - a giant multi-headed water snake, or it is a "serpent" in the classic

sense (I believe "drakon" was used in at least one version). Size is also another

issue to debate on - some claim it is gigantic, others show the central body

as smaller than Heracles himself. Finally, it also had a "stench" attack - its

odor was lethal as well.

-V

Oooh, a stench attack, huh? This thing seems to be getting more and more deadly all the time (not that there's anything *wrong* with that) :)

Guess it'd be easy enough to attach some sort of smelly feature to the thing, I believe that the RQ Chaotic Features, or the Elric/Stormnringer Demon Abilities would have something approps.

As for the thing being large,I suppose you could have something more Python-sized, but with multiple snake heads. Sure it'd still be trouble, but maybe more manageable than the large thing "Jason and the Argonauts" always makes me think of.

In an only slightly relevant a side note, I saw something on the Gamer's Trinity (Histrory Channel, Discovery Channel, National Geographic) sometime back about the ancients finding prehistoric bones, and found it interesting that, on finding Mammoth bones, the Greeks would assemble the bones *upright* instead of for a 4 legged mammakl---getting the skeleton of Heracles and other noteable types from the long ago historic age. Now a demigod like Heracles would be something like 10m tall. LOL!

Best,

-Ken-

The reason I wrote "lucky shot" is that it seems to me that while the Primary Head is tougher than the others, it is the only one which can be used to defeat the Hydra.

A Hydra with a dozen heads could be taken out quickly if a sufficiently powerful strike causes lots of damage to the Primary Head. Instead of being an immortal head (I agree, not a good idea) it seems to have become an Achilles Heel! .

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Hydra over the weekend. The campaign is low powered, and the Hydra had been attacking farms and villages around the swamp.

The characters managed to find the hydra but realised it was too powerful for them so retreated.

They came back with the militia from the local village and together they defeated the beast, though it did kill about half the militia.

Thanks

They came back with the militia from the local village and together they defeated the beast, though it did kill about half the militia.

Which is, of course, what the militia are for.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here