Captain Alatriste

jackleg2010

I probably should have given more than just link to the YouTube trailer for the movie. It is based on the books by Arturo Perez-Reverte. It is set during the Golden Age of Spain. Kind of like a more realistice version of those times. Less swash and more buckler. I plan on reading the first book of the series.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation, I had no idea the book had been filmed! Picked it up cheap on Amazon video and watching it now. Visually, it's stunning!

Love the opening scene of the Spanish soldiers wading through the water with muskets held high, then Alatriste gently blows on the matchcord around his wrist to keep it lit. 

Edited by StevenGEmsley
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Simon Vance does the readings for the audio versions. I've only read "Purity of Blood" and "Corsairs of the Levant" or something. It's GRIMDARK. No doubt about it. So, if you're liking that.. I recommend a Spanish-language series on Netflix called Ministerio del Tiempo. Some of it takes place in the Golden Age, and Velazquez is a recurring character.

• 1 year later...

I still consider Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers as the "go to" movies for the period, but Alatriste is a decent watch and shows the dirtier side of the era. It suffers from trying to cover all of the novels in one short film, however, and skips along at far too great pace for the story to have real impact. Many wonderful scenes, however.

There's also a Spanish TV series of Alatriste, but I have not been able to find it in English anywhere.

The author of the novels is a huge Dumas fan and it shows in his writing (especially in Club Dumas). The novels suffer a bit from the melancholy description of the fall of Spain's glory that takes quite a bit of room in each story. The series does get better as it continues, though, and I also hope for eventual translations of the last couple of novels.