[Fire and Sword] Prowess Points

raymond_turney

Added to the rules:

Prowess Points

Prowess points are awarded when a character does something that meets one of the requirements for a fame point, but not all of them. An example would be a sorcerer killing 15 people with a Fire Rain spell. This does not demonstrate the kind of admired courage that a warrior who kills a dragon does. But if the sorcerer kills enough people with big Fire Rain spells, he will become known as tough. So his action should be recognized. The gamemaster awards prowess points at the end of each session. A gamemaster should usually award at most 1-prowess point every three sessions or so, per character. Prowess points reward exceptional performance, not the normal performance expected of a character contributing to the success of a session.

When a character accumulates ten prowess points, his or her player can trade them in for a fame point. Prowess points have no other effect.

comments anyone?

Hi,

Trefletraxor, what do you mean by a famous/infamous scale?

Symmetry with some infamy point rules?

The key idea here, though it may not be obvious, is that fame points are the major component of status and thus influence, and also gives Will for Legenday quests. So fame points may be misleadingly named. So could you rephrase your earlier suggestion?

Ray,

• 1 month later...

Ray,

I think Triff means he'D like to see some attention given to what a character is famous for rather than just a scale of how famous he is.

Consider Mother Teresa, Thomas Edison, Julius Caesar, Al Capone, Bill Gates, Robert Goddard, Socrates and Adolph Hitler. All are famous, but for radically different things.

At least, that'S what I think he means.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Hi,

Trefletraxor, what do you mean by a famous/infamous scale?

Symmetry with some infamy point rules?

The key idea here, though it may not be obvious, is that fame points are the major component of status and thus influence, and also gives Will for Legenday quests. So fame points may be misleadingly named. So could you rephrase your earlier suggestion?

Ray,

Sorry for not answering earlier! :o

Added to the rules:

Prowess Points

Prowess points are awarded when a character does something that meets one of the requirements for a fame point, but not all of them. An example would be a sorcerer killing 15 people with a Fire Rain spell. This does not demonstrate the kind of admired courage that a warrior who kills a dragon does. But if the sorcerer kills enough people with big Fire Rain spells, he will become known as tough. So his action should be recognized. The gamemaster awards prowess points at the end of each session. A gamemaster should usually award at most 1-prowess point every three sessions or so, per character. Prowess points reward exceptional performance, not the normal performance expected of a character contributing to the success of a session.

When a character accumulates ten prowess points, his or her player can trade them in for a fame point. Prowess points have no other effect.

comments anyone?

Ray,

I think Triff means he'D like to see some attention given to what a character is famous for rather than just a scale of how famous he is.

Consider Mother Teresa, Thomas Edison, Julius Caesar, Al Capone, Bill Gates, Robert Goddard, Socrates and Adolph Hitler. All are famous, but for radically different things.

At least, that'S what I think he means.

Atgxtg got it. I was thinking of one scale showing how much of a reputation you had, and one scale showing whether it was good or bad. But that might not work as well if you plan to connect it to Will for Legendary Quests.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

On my character sheets, I have two different sections that refer to fame points and infamy points. I will use examples from Zojila, my current top character

One gives the total balance:

Fame {6-1 infamy point}

Will 5+3+3 {this quest only} 11/2

Zojila is on a Heroquest at the moment, she started with eleven Will, 5 from fame points, 3 from offices:

Minor Carmanian saint, - Kivrin, earned on plague resistance quest

Vizier {FTE 9} in House Artabanes

Initiate of Deezola

and 3 as a special one time grant from the GM for doing better than expected on the quest she was on {she fought the Black Death, and managed in the village she was in to save one person and herself, and keep the priest alive long enough to bury all the others}.

The source of the fame and infamy points are recorded lower on the character sheet:

1. Mystifying a demon twice, and the enemy skipper once, during a fight with a Crassus warship on (1/22/06)

2. .5 for being present with the party at the Kallikos White Sea temple defense

3. .5 fame point for summoning Meerclaw and Vorgo on the Hero Plane, winning a lost battle against air tigers and allowing Ma to send for reinforcements.

4. 1 fame point for completing a substantial heroquest {quest to rescue Mira and bring back Dragon’s Egg}.

5. 1 fame point for completing the chasing the quest to frustrate Charg’s theft of Bull Shah Imperial Regalia

6. One fame point for Plague Resisance HeroQuest, combating the plague and becoming a minorCarmaniansaint, patron of milkmaids.

7. 1 fame point for being a vizier in House Artabanes

Reason for Infamy Point

1. At a reception for the Moonshadows held to honor their arrival in Zern with Countess Yolanella as hostess, fell down at Countess Yolanella entrance {she was too drunk to stand}, then declined one of Countess Yolanella’s servants arms with a muttered “Damn Carmanians”.

So to me it was obvious that a player should record the history of his or her characters, and how they got the fame points, infamy points, etc.

The problem is that the system is evolving, and I don't know how to make use of the details. I should probably include a note to the effect that a GM can use this history in bringing characters into adventures, and that a GM can deny credit for Fame points if the player cannot remember what his or her character is famous for.

Ray,