"Walking" Spells in Magic World

colinabrett

I'm running a Southern Reaches MW campaign and have re-read the various spell descriptions. When I come to the Walking spells (Wind-Walking, Wave-Walking and Earth-Walking) I find the caster seems to have no means of walking through that element (Flame-Walking is an exception to this). It seems a bit pointless that Wind-Walking doesn't allow the caster to fly, for instance.

I'm thinking of tweaking these spells so the caster can (perhaps with a POW roll) control the distance and direction moved. I know that Southern Reaches Erdebroc Dwarfs can move at quarter speed when using their innate Earth-Walking ability and worry that allowing a Human caster to move through earth would, in some way, devalue that talent.

Have you any experience with these spells? If so, would you care to share what you've learned?

Thanks,

Colin

Well sorcery is designed to circumnavigate the natural world. So you could also allow dwarfs to move at full speed through the Earth to compensate for the ability of sorcerers to do the same. 

And I would say, spend 1 MP to gain X amount of movement or control of movement. So the base spells work as defined and spending more MP gives greater movement.

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

I've only seen the Walking spells used to hide from something or evade it.
I think I'd leave them as-is and make moving through air/earth/water something a summoned elemental could do for you... carry you somewhere through its substance, assuming there's no other body of elemental substance blocking the path.

• Like 1