Another first time reader quick question

Lloyd Dupont

Ok, I am only halfway through my first read through... Which I think I will need multiple of them.... I got the idea with skill and trait, so far.. neat...
and I guess some interpretation is left for the GM to decide (which trait/stunt use the same slot, hey?!) 😛

But on another completely different topic:

Sword do D6 damage, average human has 6 toughness. Looks like human can't harm themselves! (But we are notoriously good at that! :P ) What am I missing?
Also simplified combat doesn't seem to use toughness at all? Am I missing something else?! 😮 

7 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Sword do D6 damage, average human has 6 toughness. Looks like human can't harm themselves! (But we are notoriously good at that! :P ) What am I missing?

Might. Simple Combat adds +1 for each Might step, so someone strong might do 1D6+3, for example. Advanced Combat adds +1D2 for each step, so someone could do 1D6+3D2. Also, Sabres and Longswords do 1D8 and a Greatsword does 2D6, so they do more damage. In Simple Combat, an Advantage does an extra D6 damage.

But, yes, if you do not have a damage bonus and are using a sword then you cannot hurt yourself or a standard human, unless you get an Advantage or use some fancy combat tricks.

7 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Also simplified combat doesn't seem to use toughness at all? Am I missing something else?! 😮 

Not really, Simple Combat and Advanced Combat are very different things. Simple Combat is really just an Opposed Contest, made to be quick and easy.

Toughness is for Advanced Combat, I think.

Personally, I only ever use Advanced Combat, as that matches my experience of D100-style combat from years ago.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

18 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

The total damage is a combination of the weapon property (sword blade 1d6) + the wielder strength (Might) + the way he uses the weapon (his proficiency which allows to gain Effects). Some damage Effects are gained as soon as you may roll damage (ex. for swords Slash and Impale if you know the Thrust Stunt), others when you get an Advantage (Impale for a sword without the Thrust Stunt). Some weapons increase Might as well (Mace +1 Might), independently from any Effect. You can even combine several effects.

• Like 1

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

I think it is just a writing convention. The Might is handled separately from the base damage in some effects or powers so it has been clearly separated. But you can write it as you want : on character stats, damage is indeed noted 1dx + nd2 (n = weapon + wielder Mights).

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

11 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Why say this a D6 weapon with a +1 might, while one can have directly said it's a D6+D2 weapon?

For Basic/Simple combat, you add Might as a number, so this does 1D6+3. However, for Advanced Combat, you add Might in D2s, so 1D6+3D2. 

To further complicate things, there used to be a rule that changed nD2 to a certain number of other dice, rather than rolling lots of dice, however,m I can't remember if this made it into the main rules.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

On 8/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, soltakss said:

For Basic/Simple combat, you add Might as a number, so this does 1D6+3. However, for Advanced Combat, you add Might in D2s, so 1D6+3D2. 

To further complicate things, there used to be a rule that changed nD2 to a certain number of other dice, rather than rolling lots of dice, however,m I can't remember if this made it into the main rules.

Damage for energy weapons is 1d6 par Might.