The player-written heroquest

Runeblogger

Hi,

Andrew Logan Montgomery recently published this in his blog, which I find can be very useful for HeroQuest Glorantha:

http://andrewloganmontgomery.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-player-written-heroquest-set-of.html

In the last edition of THE KRAKEN (2018), I heard it say that Jeff Richard was writing something similar to this concept for The GM Sourcebook for RQG.
Read more here.

I think this is a great idea. It only requires your players to be a bit creative. But if you only have one player with enough initiative to go and write her own heroquests, I guess the other players will soon follow her lead when they see what they can accomplish by setting their creative minds to work. It's not that difficult, is it? ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

It sounds however that Jeff's approach goes a step further, where the players build the myth as they go through it, instead of Andrew's approach that gets the players to build the myth (instead of the GM) but they still have to do it before-hand? I don't know if Jeff figured out how to eliminate that, or compress it down to a minimum... Arguably, even with Andrew's method, this player-driven preparation can be pretty quick (they just determine the goal/boon/gift, pick how many stations of which type, and a one sentence description of each station).

You could potentially play it with players coming up with stations as they go.... as in: they design the next station only as they exit the previous one... you evaluate the "difficulty" of each station on the spot, and you sum that up at the end to figure out how grandiose and effective the heroquest was, and therefore how good the reward is at the end. Maybe with some bonuses/penalties based on whether the players committed to a specific number of stations up-front, or not.

Other random thought: I was reminded of TimeWatch and its rules for Chronal Stability, where you can do whatever crazy time-travelling shenanigans you want, but the GM assigns a certain risk to each stunt and you need to roll against a stat that goes down as you fail (kind of like SAN in CoC) and might eventually spiral down into you erasing yourself from the timeline. I figure some similar mechanics could be used for staying "on script" for the heroquest, with that stat going down if you have the wrong avatars, or the wrong station, or the wrong outcome, or whatever, and eventually possibly having disastrous results if you fail the heroquest, or, worse, mess up the myth itself.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

7 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Andrew Logan Montgomery recently published this in his blog, which I find can be very useful for HeroQuest Glorantha:

http://andrewloganmontgomery.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-player-written-heroquest-set-of.html

Yes, I spotted this and found it very interesting read.  Will have to see if my players ever want to adopt more of this.