Steve Perrin plays RuneQuest with Ray Turney

MOB

STEVE PERRIN writes:

Ray Turney created the initial magic system for RuneQuest and most of his spells are still in every spell caster's compendium. Unfortunately, Ray suffered a stroke about ten years ago, but still continues play from his bed or wheelchair via Skype with his old friends.

The players of 'Ray Quest' - as a game designer, Ray has his own take on the rules he helped create - ventured down to Southern California, and invited me to participate since they were starting up a standard RQ campaign. A good time was had by all. Here, Ray points out a problem while I check my game notes and Michael Blum looks on with interest. We're going to have to do this again sometime soon!

2018760538_RaymakesapointwhileSteveandMikeBlumlookon.thumb.jpg.c3dc9141496a2019b94a6a71d648ec24.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I always feel a bit bad for my players when I have the most basic (lazy?) setup for gaming, but then I see pictures like these where I realize that, hey, the creators of those games also play on shabby picnic tables in a garage with a simple battlemat and some scribbled lines and paper tokens! I can't be that bad! 😅

(then of course a second later I feel bad thinking they probably have better adventures, but hey, whatever, I'll throw more Broos at my party if they complain)

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

27 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

I always feel a bit bad for my players when I have the most basic (lazy?) setup for gaming, but then I see pictures like these where I realize that, hey, the creators of those games also play on shabby picnic tables in a garage with a simple battlemat and some scribbled lines and paper tokens! I can't be that bad! 😅

I have always like the concept of Theatre of the Mind. That is you want a stampede of elephants you say

“HOLY CRAP YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF A CRAZED HERD OF ELEPHANTS THAT ARE GOING TO CRUSH YOU BENEATH THEIR MASSIVE FEET... WHAT DO YOU DO?"

A few squiggles on a battle map a couple of minis and it works wonderfully. The players make the elephants real. Voila!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

An open letter to Ray Turney

Really sorry to hear about how a young fanboy's hero got laid low Mr Turney. I am hoping that @MOB can relay this missive to you (and I am sure the feelings that follow are not mine alone) and let you know how saddened the news of your stroke made me. Now, the picture above tells me things, well, work... I am gladdened to see you well enough to enjoy other heroes of my youth in your company enjoying a game you helped create, that I have enjoyed many a time. Fantastic! May all your rolls be critical and what few fumbles you make (if any) be the thing of legend!

Thanks for decades of gaming!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Really sorry to hear about how a young fanboy's hero got laid low Mr Turney. I am hoping that @MOB can relay this missive to you (and I am sure the feelings that follow are not mine alone) and let you know how saddened the news of your stroke made me. Now, the picture above tells me things, well, work... I am gladdened to see you well enough to enjoy other heroes of my youth in your company enjoying a game you helped create, that I have enjoyed many a time. Fantastic! May all your rolls be critical and what few fumbles you make (if any) be the thing of legend!

Ray Turney, Steve Perrin and Greg Stafford created something that had a more enduring influence on me than any of my rock heroes. Probably more of an influence than Tolkien himself! Heroes indeed!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Sure, I will pass it on!

• Thanks 1