Nephilim, expanded universe.

Zulfikar Zaban

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2020 at 4:47 AM, Mugen said:

I honestly wonder what is the incentive to play this version of the game over Mage:the Awakening, which is also a game focusing on occult mysteries, and not the metaphysical game that is Ascension.

Except, obviously, if you dislike the WoD/CoD rules, which is a perfectly fine reason to play another game.

The secret societies are more concrete antagonists than the Seers of the Throne. They have concrete goals relevant to the nephilim themselves: hunt down nephilim in order to drain their blood or transform nephilim into homunculus slaves.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:47 AM, Mugen said:

Ar-Kaïm were not well-received in France, where they were seen as an unnecessary excuse to play "manga/anime" (Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac, essentially) characters in a setting that originally focused on occult inquiries over violence and fights.

I think they were introduced as a way to have simpler characters, and not a problem with the concept of spirits living in human bodies, which was never a big concern for french players.

Fair enough. I still think it would be interesting to explore the concept of immortals who (potentially) have all eight elements or otherwise non-standard arrangements.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 9:34 PM, MoonRightRomantic said:

Fair enough. I still think it would be interesting to explore the concept of immortals who (potentially) have all eight elements or otherwise non-standard arrangements.

A good example of this could be a version of Highlander immortals which would fit really well into Nephilim.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, RogerDee said:

A good example of this could be a version of Highlander immortals which would fit really well into Nephilim.

You mean the immortals that battle to the death with katanas in order to consume each others' souls until the last survivor becomes a god?

If so, then I don't think that's a good fit at all.

Nephilim isn't about narcissistic demigods violently duking it out for control of the world like in World of Darkness. It's about revelation and transcendence. The characters are reincarnating immortals. They've lived many human lives. They've been monarchs, peasants, prophets and more. They know humanity more intimately than it knows itself. Eventually, all immortals decide to pursue the Golden Path to Agartha, to become bodhisattvas. Even the Emperor Arcanum, which is focused entirely on accumulating temporal power, believes that temporal power is merely a means to that end rather than the end itself. 

Or, to put it less pretentiously, BECMI with Indiana Jones instead of Aragorn.

17 hours ago, MoonRightRomantic said:

You mean the immortals that battle to the death with katanas in order to consume each others' souls until the last survivor becomes a god?

If so, then I don't think that's a good fit at all.

Nephilim isn't about narcissistic demigods violently duking it out for control of the world like in World of Darkness. It's about revelation and transcendence. The characters are reincarnating immortals. They've lived many human lives. They've been monarchs, peasants, prophets and more. They know humanity more intimately than it knows itself. Eventually, all immortals decide to pursue the Golden Path to Agartha, to become bodhisattvas. Even the Emperor Arcanum, which is focused entirely on accumulating temporal power, believes that temporal power is merely a means to that end rather than the end itself. 

Or, to put it less pretentiously, BECMI with Indiana Jones instead of Aragorn.

What you have described there is Highlander, so some will want to accumulate power via head hunting, others by being monks etc.

In Highlander there were only immortals, but in a combined universe, there would be a lot of very compelling reasons not to kill one another. Heck you could even import some ideas from Witchcraft / Armageddon (Classic Unisystem) such that there is a sect of Undying that want peace. Another that Dream of Atlantis (hinted at in the series) and seek to create wonders of an age past. 

All of a sudden there is a reason they do not want to kill one another.

Easy peasy

Edited by RogerDee

Apologies for never responding to anybody's comments. I wasn't expecting this post to explode like it did, and I am grateful, there was just so much to respond to I told myself I would, "Get to it later" and didn't, until now. I am not going to respond to all the comments but I do want to say that there is a ton of thought provoking stuff for me to work through and I will try to address some individual comments sometime. What I am really excited to announce, is that I have finally got a gaming group together to play my Chaosium games (starting off with Runequest.) The thing is, I have been wanting to get a group like this together for a long time, I just had to find the right people, and none of us have ever played any Chaosium games, but last week we had our first session with, "The Broken Tower" so we all still have alot of rules to figure out, but when we do we will go on to Call of Cthulhu, and others from there, and when I feel confident in my ability, and loosely putting together a campaign, I am finally going to play Nephilim, and when I do I will update you on how it goes. Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for your responses, and criticisms too as perhaps it will help me avoid some pitfalls. Cheers! Zulfikar Zaban 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I really dropped the ball in this thread and didn't realize I got so many replies, and Then I was overwhelmed and not sure how to respond to them all. You guys definitely have allot of compelling ideas & thoughts and I'll try to respond to some of them individually. Thank you and sorry for not following up alot sooner.

Edited by Zulfikar Zaban
  • Thanks 1