Rubble Runners Feedback

Jon Hunter

I'm always keen to receive feedback(mainly) to make my next attempts better.

I would be interesting in feedback on Rubble Runners Vol - 1 A Collection of Pavic personalities

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/302067/Rubble-Runners--A-collection-of-Pavis-Characters

Positive Stuff:

• Which were you favourite characters and why?
  • What worked?
  • Did the characters that pushed the envelope  a little work?

Negative Stuff

• What didn't work?
  • Were any characters dull or uninteresting?
  • Did anything fail to make sense?

Answer any of these or completely different questions you think are helpful? 

The only thing I ask is that because fan publishing is a labour of love, as well as being truthful, and honest, be kind in your manner to.

Edited by Jon Hunter
  • Thanks 2

I'm only a reader, but:

Favorite NPCs

- definitely Tulina, the most interesting Lhankor Mhy character I've encountered so far. Very complex with three different "lives". But that's the reality: One person isn't just a Warrior or just a Priest. The Warrior is maybe a family father, too. So the NPCs in this supplement all take different roles in their relationships which make them multi-dimensional.
Take for example the Rubble adventurer Tarik Stoneface. He's an adventurer and is often getting in danger. But he's also a widower and mourns the death of his wife. His actions are driven by his family ties, too. Or even more so.

- next in line is Farhad A Yanafal, the Ex-Lunar. He only wants to live a life in the new world after the war, in a society wherein he was the big enemy in the past. He's now driven by his dark past and hopes his inner secret will never be discovered. The whole character and his social network is purely drama and tension.

But all of them are very interesting, with a lot of drama and subplots.  Sometimes you're reading the profession and think "a, initiate of X or Y, so I know what's this character is like", and then you read the description and discover a wholy new image of the mabye ol' Gloranthan tropes.
For example, a character like Dalsa Jael isn't your typical Chalana Arroy-Initiate.

All of the characters come with tight social networks, allies and enemies, full of drama and plot.
Even if one or two things of a character are a bit of a chliché, the character profiles in whole are so complex, that the rest of the knots and threads are interesting and dramatic enough to counter these details.

Edited by prinz.slasar

I liked this book. It's a good size (neither too small nor too large). I like the art. I like the boxed text.

A few small layout tips: Page 4 at the bottom I would add an extra paragraph return before the third bullet item too it is all on the next page, not split like that. Page 6, in the first column all of the bulleted items have an odd line spacing on them, which should be reduced. Page 7, the first column ends with a single line of text, which should be bumped to the second column. This can be controlled by adjusting the widow/orphan settings for the style. Page 14, the second column bullet text has the same extra line spacing problem as page 6. I like the picture on page 16, but it seems rather large, especially compared to the other image sizes. Page 30, first column, the second bullet under Encounters has a very awkwardly auto-justified first line. I would put a space in between one of the words with the / between them to potentially solve that. Page 38, try putting a bit of space between the bullet text and the boxed text in column one.

I look forward to your next publication. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Cheers rick I had wedded myself to a two page layout for each character, on each open fold. So had to do some weird stuff  with the art to make that happen. When Harala obviously was not going to to fit in two pages I had to extend to 4 pages so whole the document would keep its format.

Maybe I have to learn to sacrifice some  content for layout, but seems odd to me, is that something the professionals do?

But if your critiques in the latout stuff i'm a happy man.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

The only thing I ask is that because fan publishing is a labour of love, as well as being truthful, and honest, be kind in your manner to.

Oh hell,. and here I am broke because, that is a truly great reason to buy a product. A gent who stands behind a product, asks for comments, and then gets praise from Rick Meints. I will be putting my money down one day.

Cheers.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 2/2/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jon Hunter said:

Cheers rick I had wedded myself to a two page layout for each character, on each open fold. So had to do some weird stuff  with the art to make that happen. When Harala obviously was not going to to fit in two pages I had to extend to 4 pages so whole the document would keep its format.

Maybe I have to learn to sacrifice some  content for layout, but seems odd to me, is that something the professionals do?

But if your critiques in the latout stuff i'm a happy man.

Most RPG companies go for a specific page count when they do an RPG book, so if someone submits a page more material than will fit into the layout of a 128 page book, most companies would trim something. At The Chaosium we don't tend to do that as much as many larger companies would. If you are wondering what page counts are common, it is based on the magical rule of 32. If you look at the biggest RPG publisher's material they tend to be 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 196, 224 or 256 pages. Those get you the best printing prices from big printing companies. For POD that is less important and I just recommend you stick with a page count that is a multiple of 4. For PDFs it technically doesn't matter at all.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.