The Smoking Ruins : GM questions *SPOILERS*

Puckohue

I ran Urvantans tower - my PCs didn't investigate the tower at all, and focused on the the Mercenaries.  After harrasing the raiders, freeing the villages, and causing the leader to give up his siege of the fort and come after them.  The PCs skirted arround the main force of the mercenaries heading to the village and charged the Centaur and his group (Mobility spell) - a Critical to the centaur in round 1 was all it took for the Leader to call Ransom and the Battle was over.  I had the Tower fold into itself and avoid the Deus Ex Machina ending in the plot.

I have heard tell of others undertook a heroquest to unite the disparate natives into a force to match against the Mercenaries also.

So that being said there are many ways of resolving the issue without an NPC saves the day kind of ending.  But it is nice for that kind of ending to be there if the PCs get stuck or need the aid of Urvantan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2020 at 4:05 PM, Puckohue said:

Does anyone have any ideas what this "success" could be, early sea season 1626? The omens for 1626 were cursed...

It could be a favorable Feast of the Beasts (see Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes) - the annual Flamal ritual held at Clearwine. 

It could be the return/success of a band of adventurers (e.g. the "rival" adventurers) who have recovered a part of the Colymar regalia, lost when Kangharl was devoured by the Dragon.

In my campaign, the PC's succeeded in completing a VisionQuest for Leika to gain/shape a vision of the Colymar tribe's future (they had to trace Colymar's original path and reach Lookout Point in the Auroch Hills).

Depending on when other adventures are placed, it could be winning the allegiance of Idrima from the Broken Tower, or the restoration of Orgorvale (perhaps the rededication of her temple after freeing her from the Dragon), or the defeat of Redeye the Boar.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:49 PM, Dave Empey said:

*delurk*

Is the "Burnt Map Fragment" on p 56 missing some content? The "Burnt Map Fragment Notes" box says that "scribes... added notes, scribbles, and thoughts upon it" but I don't see any thing like that on the image of the map in the PDF.

Ya, i had a similar thought about the map. it says in the one text box that the make has Red marking that note where Makes Scratches encountered spirits, but the map in the book doesn't have any red markings.. the best I could guess was that maybe they meant the Green ink drops, but IDK.