RoF 1/2, 1/3

Solarite

Hello. I am a new keeper (starting with 7th edition). I am looking to figure out all the rules concerning the / notation fire rates. There seems to be only one sentence covering it. Can anyone explain it to me in detail or provide page numbers. As best I can tell its intended to represent a longer reload time. What, by RAW, are the limitations on player action during those times? Can a player just take a penalty die as normal to reload and fire or is that eliminated for such weapons? I've been digging and can't seem to find much. I've considered checking 6ed for rules or dig through the Basic Roleplaying System.

• Like 1

406 of the Keepers Handbook and 255 of the investigators handbook. They seem to apply to weapons such as crossbows and older firearms. A lot of weapon entries from Down Darker Trails have these rules, and I want to have the RAW down before I start a Pulp Down Darker Trails campaign with my friends.

I believe it would mean you could only fire the weapon accurately every second or third round. I would impose a penalty die if they try to attack more then they are supposed to. This rule is likely to symbolize the longer reload time of more primitive weapons.

-Voice of the Legion

Yeah, that is one interpretation I got from that and likely the one I am going to go with. It just isn't as explicit as I would like and I don't want to run on a house rule and learn a year or three later that I was 'doing it wrong', which creates problems with online groups and expectation management.

When I run any RPG, I use whatever interpretation of the rules works best for my group. I would indeed limit non-movement actions as the player is using their action to load the weapon. I will stress that I believe for the GM in any system, the rules are more of suggestions:)

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I tweak it a little depending on the gun. For example, the Martini-Henry is 1/3 I believe, but the gun could be loaded and fired pretty damn quick, only a few shots less per minute than the average bolt-action rifle, though I might throw in a Luck roll to see if the casing can get discharged properly, since that was an issue on some earlier models.

The real answer is do whatever you think works best for you and your group.

Edited by TheEnclave

What I do is the first / 3 shots are made at normal difficulty. So you can squeeze off 3 shots each one rolling for regular success. If you want to empty your clip IE go beyond the three shots, then it is done at a hard roll. Ya even I kind of fathom some of those CoC rules. I mean, a character can dodge the damn bullets for crying out loud, even after taking their action.