Terms for Rulers

Jeff

12 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

What about "high king"? Just a king but higher, or does it denote something specific?

Isn't it a King of Kings? In other words, a king who has other kings as subjects.

The king of a land might be a High King, with tribal kings beneath him. So, the King of Dragon pass has the kings of all the tribes of Dragon Pass beneath him, including the Prince of Sartar. the Prince of Sartar is himself a high king, with the kings of the tribes of Sartar beneath him.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

49 minutes ago, soltakss said:

. So, the King of Dragon pass has the kings of all the tribes of Dragon Pass beneath him

Well, this one is weird, since it's predominantly a ritual and magical title and not a political one. ie. Tarshites do not suddenly bow to a Sartarite King of Dragon Pass, and so on (even if they might have to show some kind of ritual deference or maybe even pay tribute, I don't know, I'm sure there are like seventeen different treatises on what kind of honey the Feathered Horse Queen got as a wedding gift one time or other, knowing Glorantha. :P )