Use Rome Wealth Rules in M-Space; but where ARE those rules?

PoppySeed45

So, I'm thinking of running Pirates of Drinax in M-Space, though my emphasis tends to be on the politics and what not (so, I'll be using the background and ideas from PoD, but not the actual adventures except where they intersect with politics). With that in mind, I'd like to sudan abstract wealth system (this is one of the main reasons I'm looking more at Savage Worlds - the current edition has such a system, and a supplement written for it expands those rules). Still, M-Space is BUILT for this, but...Mythras no has such rules.

Except in Rome. I have that supplement, and looking at the wealth system, I realize there IS no wealth system, or at least, I can't find it. In the BGB for BRP, I can use the Status/Wealth mechanics there (and at least gives me an idea of how much things "cost" within that system), but I'd rather use something made for Mythras.

So, am I crazy and there is no explanation of the wealth rules in Rome?

Also, side question- are there any decent mass combat rules for Mythras? It seems a lot of setting could have wars, but there don't seem to be rules for battles. I've looked at Mythic Britain, but those rules are only for, it feels, Bronze or Age fights; could they be used for more modern/futuristic battles?

• Like 2

Wealth is described in the Mythic Rome Characters chapter, page 134 onwards ('The Value of Goods and Services').

'Ships & Shield Walls' contains the mass combat rules, which are similar to Mythic Britain's. While designed for classical armies with hand to hand weapons, there's no reason why you can't use the same rules for modern/futuristic battles. 

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

1 hour ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Wealth is described in the Mythic Rome Characters chapter, page 134 onwards ('The Value of Goods and Services').

'Ships & Shield Walls' contains the mass combat rules, which are similar to Mythic Britain's. While designed for classical armies with hand to hand weapons, there's no reason why you can't use the same rules for modern/futuristic battles. 

I read that. Just seems a bit...bare, I guess. I felt the one in BRP was a bit more understandable;e, or robust (I mean, not by much, but still). I'll have to reread it then. 

1 hour ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

This appears to be missing one key part that, while not present in the BRP version, was referenced in the BRP version - the wealth levels table. The Mythras MR references “items above their wealth level”, but there is no reference to what that means. Can a destitute person afford an average puglio or must he have a benefactor? I am unable to find anything that would give a pointer. P18 does give a wealth cap, but it doesn’t map to an item value. 

re: @StanTheMan the mass combat rules should work, though I had the same hesitation at first. The trick is there isn’t much melee combat :) everyone is shooting with their blasters, and thus it feels a little odd. A lot of skirmishing. 

• Like 1

Lyonesse uses an optional Affluence system for abstracting wealth. Here are the pertinent rules:

Affluence is determined by Social Class and is, like Skills, expressed as a percentage value. A Critical Success means the character is easily able to meet the costs presented, and in a way that might even encourage better service or a discount. A Successful Affluence roll means that the character can afford to pay what is required for what is needed, within reason. If the roll Fails, then the character is unable to meet the asking price: perhaps funds have been mislaid, left behind, or stolen. If the Affluence roll is failed, the character can try to persuade the vendor to provide the goods or services regardless in one of the following ways:

• Spend a Luck Point.

• Try to convince the vendor to either lower the price, accept a different form of payment (physical or mental services, for instance), or to lend credit.

To do this, the character must match either Commerce, Deceit, Eloquence, or Influence against the vendor’s Willpower. If successful, then the negotiation succeeds too. If the attempt fails, so does the negotiation.

There are a few rules to observe when using the Affluence Rating to obtain things:

• Only call for an Affluence Roll if necessary or dramatically appropriate. It is not necessary to have every character make an Affluence check for every meal bought, every scrap of clothing purchased, or every drink consumed.

• The character with the highest Affluence can attempt to cover expenses for everyone in the party, although the Affluence roll will usually be at a penalty.

• Games Masters can apply a Difficulty Grade to the Affluence roll to make things easier or harder, depending on the circumstances. For example, if a character wants to buy a piece of exquisite jewelry, the Games Master may apply a Difficulty Grade of Formidable or Herculean to the Affluence Rating, reflecting the price charged by the jeweller. Conversely, paying for repairs to a favourite hat that has been damaged in a duel might attract a Difficulty Grade of Easy.

• Affluence can be used as a Skill to augment another skill, in appropriate circumstances. For example, a character from a wealthy background could augment his or her Influence with Affluence if trying to impress or coerce someone of lower social standing. However, the reverse would not be possible: the same character would not be able to use Affluence as an augmentation if dealing with a King or Queen.

• Like 5

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

5 hours ago, Raleel said:

This appears to be missing one key part that, while not present in the BRP version, was referenced in the BRP version - the wealth levels table. The Mythras MR references “items above their wealth level”, but there is no reference to what that means. Can a destitute person afford an average puglio or must he have a benefactor? I am unable to find anything that would give a pointer. P18 does give a wealth cap, but it doesn’t map to an item value. 

re: @StanTheMan the mass combat rules should work, though I had the same hesitation at first. The trick is there isn’t much melee combat :) everyone is shooting with their blasters, and thus it feels a little odd. A lot of skirmishing. 

I see. Hmm. Then I'll give it a stare. As said, I tend to run "political" games, so, I need things like that. It's why I'm still grappling with my choice.