Favourite Summoning Rules

Guest Vile Traveller

Guest Vile Traveller

The summoning rules have changed quite a bit through the editions. Which are your favourite, and why?

Edited by Vile

My own house rules. OK, that's not valid.

There are two very different rules iterations that I equally like. So, in terms of potential for FUN at the gaming table...

1st place ex aequo to Stormbringer 4th edition with the Sorcerers of PanTang updated rules  AND Mongoose Elric (either edition - summoning rules are identical)

3rd place to the original summoning rules of Stormbringer 1-3

4th place to the Elric! / Stormbringer 5th edition rules - I dearly love many parts of Elric!, but the summoning rules is not one of them. They are OK but not great. However they are easily houserulable into something much more fun.

Guest Vile Traveller
4 hours ago, smiorgan said:

My own house rules. OK, that's not valid.

It is if you say what they are. 😉

On 5/3/2020 at 7:03 AM, Vile said:

The summoning rules have changed quite a bit through the editions. Which are your favourite, and why?

Its been a while since I ran or played SB... whilst I have fond memories of the 1-3 system, I really liked and my players found far more nuance and game value in the 4e / Elric! / SB5 variants.

20 hours ago, smiorgan said:

1st place ex aequo to Stormbringer 4th edition with the Sorcerers of PanTang updated rules  AND Mongoose Elric (either edition - summoning rules are identical)

3rd place to the original summoning rules of Stormbringer 1-3

4th place to the Elric! / Stormbringer 5th edition rules - I dearly love many parts of Elric!, but the summoning rules is not one of them. They are OK but not great. However they are easily houserulable into something much more fun.

Same for me, except for 4th edition, which I never read.