Geomancy

allenowen

Maybe it is a reading comprehension problem, or maybe I'm overthinking, but I am a little confused about Geomancy.

It says it helps locate a desired object or entity upon a symbolic representation of an area( a map of some kind)  within range. The "within range" part is confusing to me.

At an intensity of 1, the range of a sorcery spell is 10 meters. Does that mean the caster needs to be within 10 meters of the map, or does that mean within 10 meters of the object's location on the map? If it is the latter, that means that unless you already have a very accurate idea of the object's location, you will need to up the intensity of Geomancy, right?  Since you might think it is "in this building here, but it is actually in this other building 100 meters away."

In my view: Sorcery requires a certain amount of Free INT to get more than piddling results. Geomancy does not require any Strength. There is no real need to put Intensity into Duration (10 minutes should be sufficient to understand where you go next). So, expect to put Intensity into Range. Now, if you forgot your key in your home and have a handy map of it, 10 or 20 meters should do it. So, you need to be within 10 meters of the object, and the object's location is displayed on the map.

But in a fantasy setting, we are really talking about learning where the legendary X is located on e.g. a map of Dragon Pass. You probably need to wander all around Dragon Pass, casting Geomancy every 10 kilometers (Range 15, requiring 14 Free Int). 

Let's say you get to Balazar from the Griffin Mountain book. You decide you really want to find Elkoi's Ring. It has been hidden, buried, for centuries. Be prepared to wander every 'hex' on that map and cast Geomancy in nearly every one. It will finally pay off and you will get a location on the map. When you get close to that location, it will just look like a grassland (or whatever). You make a map of the trees, rock outcroppings, and bushes and cast Geomancy again. Boom, you know where to dig!

Let's say you wander SnakePipe Hollow trying to find the statue the earth temple sent you to find. You all fail to find a secret door by random searching. Cast Geomancy with e.g. Range 100 meters and Boom, you know where to concentrate your Search efforts.

You do not get to find the location of the Unbreakable Sword casting Geomancy 1 because a map of Genertela happens to be within 10 meters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allenowen said:

Maybe it is a reading comprehension problem, or maybe I'm overthinking, but I am a little confused about Geomancy.

It says it helps locate a desired object or entity upon a symbolic representation of an area( a map of some kind)  within range. The "within range" part is confusing to me.

I think the confusion has to do with the placement of the term "within range" in the spell description.

The sorcerer in Vasana's Saga on p.383 is clearly using Geomancy (and in the chapter's opening picture).  "With a boatsman’s map of the Choralinthor Bay and a pendulum, he pointed to an island just south of the marshes below the Shadow Plateau. “Frog Island,” Damastol declared. “What you seek is on the middle promontory there.”

Vasana, Sorola, and the sorcerer are all in Nochet.  The sorcerer has a map at hand and an instrument to point to the targeted destination.  The object to be found is at the destination, Frog Island, which is some distance away in Choralinthor Bay.

The range in this case references the object (not the map being used).  Frog Island is roughly 80km from Nochet. The spell therefore needs an Intensity of 20 applied to Range in order to find the object and point on the map to its approximate location: "they learn the corresponding location on the map to where the thing or entity currently is, if the thing or entity is currently somewhere that corresponds to a location on the map and is within the range of the spell."

This creates some very substantive limits in terms of finding objects given the amount of MP's needed to cover a large distance, and the need for a good map.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

This creates some very substantive limits in terms of finding objects given the amount of MP's needed to cover a large distance, and the need for a good map.

And a reasonable idea of the item's location, in order to have the right map (and starting point for the spell). If you've got zero idea) or you're just completely wrong, it's gonna suck!

• Like 1