Are We Still Wrestling Spirits to the Ground for Spirit Magic?

claycle

Although I know the rules straight-forwardly state something along the lines of "spend a week, learn a spirit magic spell" in RQG, an old player asked me "Do we still summon and wrestle spirit magic from spell spirits?" (even if this is purely for color)

So do we? Or has the concept of prying magic away from spell spirits been completely discarded?

• Like 1

Depends on how you are learning it. A Priest or Rune Lord of your cult may well summon a cult spirit to teach you. A Shaman of Daka Fal might well summon an Ancestor and cast Spirit Teacher to have them teach you the spell. Another Shaman might summon a spirit and make you wrestle. Another might do that for you and then cast a Command spell.

YMMV. It's normally abstracted in RQG as not being MGF to have to game it out each time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, claycle said:

Although I know the rules straight-forwardly state something along the lines of "spend a week, learn a spirit magic spell" in RQG, an old player asked me "Do we still summon and wrestle spirit magic from spell spirits?" (even if this is purely for color)

So do we? Or has the concept of prying magic away from spell spirits been completely discarded?

Have a look at this recent thread:

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I always quite liked the RQ3 Vikings method of gaining spirit magic - for variable spells, you have to overcome the spirit's MPs with your own (neither party actually loses MPs, so you could as easily use POW vs POW), and you try until you lose. If you lose the first round, you get nothing, otherwise you get a number of points of the spell equal to the number of times you succeeded (up to whatever maximum the spirit knows).

Makes it really difficult to get something like Bladesharp 10 - the law of averages is a cruel mistress - but that might be considered a feature.

• Like 1