Aeolian Tribes/Factions - Bandori

10baseT

Are there other Aeolian tribes in Southern Heortland besides the Bandori?

So the Bandori are in Bandori county. But what about north of that. Since the Aeolians tend to be mainly urban in this area, would they be more of city factions in their cities? Like Mount Passant would be their tribe/faction while say Duchamp is theirs with each owing up to their ruling talar... as i believe the commoners elect their ruling talar, so there's probably loyalty there.

I would then think the ruling talar would do what he could to remain in authority. Maybe his council, a talar ring for lack of better words, would already have the commoners doing what they want the result to be. Or maybe that city's talar caste turn into big but subtle political jockeying... (anyway, i'm digressing.)

49 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

Are there other Aeolian tribes in Southern Heortland besides the Bandori?

There are two "tribes" in Esvular, the area from the Minthos River and south around to the Bandori Valley and Refuge.  They are the Esvularing and the Bandori.  These are not quite the same as traditional Orlanthi tribes in that they are led by the talar of Mount Passant and Refuge respectively.  Clans (i.e. villages) send their leaders to the cities as a council that chooses the talar (when time for a new one) and aid the talar when needed (and likely deliver tribute to the cities).  

The talars are an endogamous group - they are chosen from the "noble" clans only.  Those noble clans most probably reside in the cities (Mount Passant, Duchamp, Vizel, and some place in the midst of the Bandori Valley, as well as Refuge - though the latter actually has a Brithini ruler; and probably Durengard and Leskos as well).  They marry amongst each other, not among the other commoner clans.  It is quite possible that village chiefs also come from these noble clans, though I don't think we've explored that yet.

The noble clans remain in authority by virtue of the Esvulari caste system.  I'm sure there is jockeying among the for power.  But, … keep in mind that as of 1625, Heortland has been subjected to Civil War, Lunar Invasion, the Great Winter, more Civil War, and then Wolf Pirate raids and attacks.  The system is likely to have become "fragile" - and noble Esvulari clans may make arrangements amongst each other (or also look to their brethren outside of Nochet) for new alliances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10baseT said:

Is this with Rikkard and his seshnegi cataphracts your're referring to?

In the aftermath of Belintar's disappearance (aka dismemberment), Rikard arrived at Durengard and founded New Malkonwal.  At the same time, Broyan was declared King of Heortland at Whitewall.  Broyan and Rikard fought an inconclusive Civil War largely over the lands between Smithstone and Backford between 1617-1619 until the Lunar invasion disrupted that. The Lunars subsequently besieged Broyan in Whitewall in 1619-21, and then conquered Heortland defeating Rikard and taking Durengard in 1620.  Esvular from Duchamp/Mount Passant and down to Refuge was beyond Lunar rule.

• Like 1

I knew Rikard had been skirmishing with some Uroxi.

That, too.  He suppressed the Storm Bull cult/temple at Bullflood particularly which presented a challenge to his rule over southern Heortland.  Most of those Storm Bulls likely headed north to join Broyan at Whitewall and fight the Lunars.  Or they retreated to Stormwalk Mountain, or even beyond into Prax.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen L said:

I presume you've seen Jeff's posting on the subject?

Yes, an excellent post. Gives good info where there's not much written about. I've been researching things like Beauchief and White Faces from HQ Voices. There is a cool map showing some small towns/villages on the plateau and Vulari peninsula. Similar to the map from the "A Gazetter of Kerofinela" but i dont think it was ever published, but pictures of it have been posted here in BRPCentral.

Edited by 10baseT

Gives good info where there's not much written about.

Some of what I'm thinking here for the structure of the Esvulari society based on Jeff's various notes.

There's probably something like 15-20 noble clans in Esvular (as well as Durengard, Leskos, and Vizel plus at least one noble clan at Nochet).  They are endogamous and marry among each other. These noble clans lead the cults of Orlanth and Ernalda and serve as the priests and rune lords (and possibly only they can initiate to those cults).  One of the nobles is chosen to lead the "tribe" at Mount Passant (and another the other tribe in Bandori).  I have a feeling that they appoint other "junior" nobles as the "chieftains" of the villages.  Whether this is based on specific noble clan "rights" or is more fluid, I'm not sure.  The nobles include thanes who form the heavy cavalry of Heortland and probably control the treasuries/important households of the city.

The nobles are served by the wizard-priests of the Invisible God as administrators, scribes, councilors, lawspeakers, etc.  These come from their own endogamous priestly clans (there are likely fewer of these, or else the families are simply smaller).  They lead the services and rites to the Invisible God (from which all else emanates).  And possibly they can initiate into LM as well.

Commoners can join other cults:  Barntar/Esrola; Chalana Arroy/Arroin; Issaries/Uleria; Humakt; Storm Bull/Eiritha.  Always paired cults (even Humakt is "split" here).  They initiate into relevant cults, learn spirit magic, become Godtalkers (probably not called "priests" here). 

I suspect that when a village chieftain dies or retires, the nobles send out a new chieftain with family and a couple/few loyal thanes to manage the village.  Similarly, if the village wizard-priest dies/retires, a new wizard-priest is sent from the temple (either in Mount Passant or Refuge) to now serve as the village wizard-priest.  The noble chieftain and family is responsible for the worship and magic of the Orlanth/Ernalda temple; the wizard-priest for that of the Invisible God.  Everything else is organized locally.

• Like 2