Pamaltelan Clovers

Sir_Godspeed

Pamaltela, at least south of the mountains if not more, does not have conventional grasses. Instead, its ground cover is said to primarily be made up by varieties of clover. 

The only one of these I know is a "Sweet Clover" in Jolar, but it is not described, so I don't know if it is similar to the real world Yellow Sweet Clover. Presumably it is only one of a wide array of species.

I am used to seeing clover types that are quite water-dependant and prefer more shade (under wooded canopies, etc.), so the thought of Savannah-covering clover is one I'd like to get some help in grokking. Are they as tall as RW savannah grasses, ie. up to over two meters tall? Do they have the characteristic leaves of temperate clovers or am I missing a wide variety of entirely different clovers? Is there a mythical reason why horses can't eat them? (RW explanation would be tse tse flies, not the feed, but the feed is the answer for the lack of horses in Pamaltela, so there we go). 

Feel free to spin!

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

Clover, huh?  I would've expected ferns.

There's a lot of clover where I live, but that's pretty warm and humid generally.  Get as far south as places like Zamokil though, and and I'd expect the clover to mostly be a dry yellow turf that blooms with green and blossoms when rains do eventually come, the way the real world Atacama Desert transforms into streamside meadows for a little while when it's properly watered.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

Clover, huh?  I would've expected ferns.

That would have fit with the general theme of Pamaltela being more "ancient" in terms of lifeforms, but clovers are what are mentioned in the Guide (along with shrubs, etc.). Then again I seem to recall something from the Guide Appendix about the Golden Age that clovers were the original groundcover, but I might be wrong.

I like the idea that they're pretty yellow and green usually, but then you get clover flowers during the rainy seasons. That would be a very pretty sight.