'Parry' skill v 'Shield'/'Melee Weapon' skill - Help!

GianniVacca

The list of skills mentions 'Parry' as one of the skills. Yet non of the sample NPCs on p360 of BRP has that skill amongst their personal skills!

e.g.

-what skill would the Knight on p362 use to parry an attack with his shield? 'kite shield 65%'. Indeed p263 of BRP lists the Skill needed to use a Kite Shield as being 'Shield'.

-what skill would the Knight on p362 use to parry an attack with his long sword? 'long sword 75%', I reckon.

So what is Parry used for??????? Only as an optional skill (p198?) Help!

So what is Parry used for??????? Only as an optional skill (p198?) Help!

I ran into the same problem only a couple of days ago and decided to treat

Parry as a subskill of the weapon or shield skill in question, with the same

value as that skill (e.g. Rapier 55 % = Rapier Parry 55 %).

However, I am not sure whether this is according to the rules, so I am also

interested in the answer to this question. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I've always gone by the idea that a parry skill is seperate from the weapon skill. Goes back to my RQ days.

So you would have a long sword attack skill and a seperate long sword parry skill, and a seperate shield parry skill (opening up the possibility of a shield attack skill too).

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

In the basic game, Parry and Shield Parry are the same skill, and Sword and Sword Parry are the same skill. The optional rule "Separate attack and parry skills" allows to have "Weapon Attack" and "Weapon Parry" as skills, increasing separately. Note that this approach is not incredibly realistic, despite it being the "classic" approach we all learned when we learned BRP.

The Parry skill mentioned in the skill list is either of the above, according to which option you use.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

In the basic game, Parry and Shield Parry are the same skill, and Sword and Sword Parry are the same skill. The optional rule "Separate attack and parry skills" allows to have "Weapon Attack" and "Weapon Parry" as skills, increasing separately. Note that this approach is not incredibly realistic, despite it being the "classic" approach we all learned when we learned BRP.

The Parry skill mentioned in the skill list is either of the above, according to which option you use.

So in parole povere I may ignore the Parry skill altogether. Correct?